• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Think I'm pulling the trigger on one of these later today...

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I have this. What extra does the Plank feeder do to justify the cost difference?

with this added

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
This is what it does; makes sense but since I am home 24hrs no need and will wait for price drop.

(it has often been difficult to administer to the typical reef aquarium due to its tendency to float for a long time after being added to water. Even with a simple floating feeding ring, freeze dried food particles usually find their way to the surface and into an overflow box, only to be filtered out before being consumed. Our system solves this problem by incorporating a powered mixing chamber that forces most of the food particles to become neutrally buoyant before being allowed to escape. This results in a nearly continuous supply of freshly hydrated plankton in the water column.)

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I was gonna get the first edition. this one looks better. avast is definitely quality products. I have their calcium reactor.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
What extra does the Plank feeder do to justify the cost difference?

I'm awful at feeding and hardly home, so I oft compensate. Its probably part of the reason I generate algae often.
I'm intrigued by this as it microdoses plankton throughout the day in consistent doses.
It actually has a Sicce silent pump in the downtube as well to eject and circulate the plankton into the tank.
Plus its Avast, everything I've ever bought from them is extremely durable and efficient.
Still haven't pulled the trigger, and now that I know the Eheim feeder tube exists I may pick that up for my 2nd tank and test it out. :)

I have the plank and I love it. the big advantage over the eheim auto feeder is the submerged feedings. The food gets saturated then goes through the water column as opposed to sitting on the surface. put this in front of a power head and it is fantastic at feeding the entire tank. It also delivers a consistent volume of food whereas the eheim is very variable and inconsistent. The ONLY negative of the plank is needing it to be on it's own timer. I have it in my apex so it is easy..but if you dont have this..you have to buy a repeating timer which adds to the cost and complexity.

Overall..i say if you gots the money..do it.

I have it as well, definitely a worthwhile investment. Actually, come to think of it, I have four of them... (although only one is currently running) haha