• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thinking about new direction

I started my tank with the intention of lps dominant mixed reef. I do not have the best success with lps. I have 2 SPS, both monti’s, that are doing really well. I am considering going to sps dominant, due to my smaller size tank, (40 gal), and there less aggressive nature. I can pack it with a lot more verity. My light is only 60% peak right now, so I can turn them up too.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
I typically like to keep a pretty heavy bioload and usually lean LPS and softies for that reason. They do require/tolerate a bit higher nitrate/phosphate level than SPS. If you're running super tight on your nutrients that could be why your SPS are thriving and you aren't getting a ton of growth on your LPS and softies.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Lps grow slower than most sps in perfect a environment. Do you run carbon? When you have a tank with mixed corals you should definitely run carbon and change it often.
My lps also grow slow but they move so it’s ok.

Got 4 new sps today. A birds nest, a red monty, what I thought was a green slimmer, and some kind of Jason fox monti, that looks kind of bland in the picture, but I think it will color up nice given the right conditions. Unfortunately, I dont think I actually got a green slimmer. It doesn’t look like one now that I got it home. It looked like one at the store. The green slimmer was really what I was after in the first place. 64C8536B-9C06-4AB2-A079-2756759EB230.jpegF0013265-4CDF-4697-8BA5-FE8FC1D476CD.jpeg8489E8CA-E252-42F1-9DA9-48D09BC87424.jpegC9DFECED-320B-45BA-AB13-C7256CD324B3.jpeg

I have added a 3rd power head. This one is just a constant flow, to help circulation accross the bottom. I have also turned up my main controllable power heads. My sps are very happy. It might be a little much for my torch. It occasionally gets a blast. It’s has not retracted. Maybe it can take it. Otherwise I’ll move it. I can’t post a video of it, or I would try to get an opinion or 2.

The flow good for the clam. Just right to keep sand from collecting in the mantle. The watchman goby sometimes dumps sand on it. The mantle occasionally waves a little. Just right. I’m doing a little better with lps, and softies now. I increased feeding, dose phyto, and shut my skimmer off sometimes. Phased out the GFO. The BRS reactor just has a bag of carbon in it. Then there’s the 2 little fishies bio pellet reactor, that is dialed in keeping nitrates 3-5. There is no algae. Not even coralline. I did have a few spots with bubble algae, but aggressive manual removal. I don’t see any more.