• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thinking About Throwing in the Towel

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I started using vibrant (actually need to dose again today) and have been manually removing. Now I've noticed a significant amount of salt creep coming up from the bottom of the glass. Is this normal? Or should I be worried about I bigger leak?
make sure it’s not water overflowing from your manual removal or power heads. Wen I need to track water I clean up the area make sure it’s bone dry and then place a paper towel in side the trim or the area. The direction of where the water is coming from might reveal itself.

I don't think it is. When I was cleaning the glass afterwards, I seemed to notice the paper towel getting wetter when running it along the bottom.

Salted

NJRC Member
I also bought a larger than needed clean up crew package to replenish my stock.
If you bought from reefcleaners you’ll be lucky if what shows up at your house is large enough. My experience with them was everything was as small as could be and lots of dead loss. Hope you have better luck then I did.

If you’re running chaeto in your fuge you might as well just take it out now and toss it. The vibrant is going to kill it anyway, so why have it add more decaying matter into the tank. From what I’ve read after you are finished and (hopefully) successful with the vibrant you’ll need to do a lot of water changes to get the residual vibrant out before you’re able to grow macro again. Sounds like it does not dissipate out on its own. I’d like to see brs set up a series of tanks and do a test. See if they can come up with the right sequence to start water changes when the gha starts dying off to get it out of the tank coinciding with keeping the level of vibrant correct in the water to when it’s safe for macro to go back in. Maybe the dreaded cyano outbreak that follows using vibrant could be avoided.

Last edited:

Salted

NJRC Member
I don't think it is. When I was cleaning the glass afterwards, I seemed to notice the paper towel getting wetter when running it along the bottom.
Well that’s an unfortunate new development. I’d make fixing that a priority. Having a bottom seam blow is a much bigger issue than gha.

Can I seal it from the outside without draining the tank? If I need to drain it, I'm going to end up getting rid of it. But I also don't want 75 gallons of water on the floor lol. The salt creep seems to have stopped any actual "Leak", but I'm worried how long that will last...

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Can I seal it from the outside without draining the tank? If I need to drain it, I'm going to end up getting rid of it. But I also don't want 75 gallons of water on the floor lol. The salt creep seems to have stopped any actual "Leak", but I'm worried how long that will last...
Salt creep won’t stop anything. You would have to drain the tank. The water pressure against any seal will eventually win. So you want to seal from inside the tank not outside.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Is this an aqueon ? What kind of tank is it

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Will be a while take it slow with vibrant. You don’t want cyano.

Salted

NJRC Member
Basically across the entirety of the front of the tank
If that is a new development then I’d think it’s a problem. One to address sooner rather than later. Fully agree with ecam, it needs to be repaired from inside. Call if you want help.