• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thinking About Throwing in the Towel

My tanks gone to ****. Equipment keeps breaking down. Hair algea has over taken the tank and, as hard as I try, I can't get it under control. I also have no idea how much to sell things for. The tank is two years old, 75 gallons, 2x Radion xR30w, 2x IceCap PowerHeads, DC return pump, Octopus skimmer (which doesn't seem to work now). Some very large leathers, two logs of GSP, mushrooms, Purple Tang, Blue Tang, 3x clownfish, wrase, file fish, and assorted cleanup crew. I was just in there pulling algea out, so need to wait until the water clears and I can take a picture. Also have an RODI 4-Stage system with all new filters.

I don't have the appetite to keep up with what's becoming a bigger and bigger money pit.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
My tanks gone to ****. Equipment keeps breaking down. Hair algea has over taken the tank and, as hard as I try, I can't get it under control. I also have no idea how much to sell things for. The tank is two years old, 75 gallons, 2x Radion xR30w, 2x IceCap PowerHeads, DC return pump, Octopus skimmer (which doesn't seem to work now). Some very large leathers, two logs of GSP, mushrooms, Purple Tang, Blue Tang, 3x clownfish, wrase, file fish, and assorted cleanup crew. I was just in there pulling algea out, so need to wait until the water clears and I can take a picture. Also have an RODI 4-Stage system with all new filters.

I don't have the appetite to keep up with what's becoming a bigger and bigger money pit.
Hair algae is a bitch. I also dealt with bubble, turf and film, no bryopsis though, also have had cyano and dinos. All very frustrating. I know it's not recommended but maybe treat with Vibrant before giving up on the hobby

Man, I just gave away a reef abalone that could have helped you. Have you tried to find a sea hare? If you do decide to toss in the towel send me your number, I might be interested in the fish. Where are you located?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Man, I just gave away a reef abalone that could have helped you. Have you tried to find a sea hare? If you do decide to toss in the towel send me your number, I might be interested in the fish. Where are you located?
He's in Rockaway. I'd also be interested in stuff, but I prefer not to lose a reefer- we are here to help, first

Try using reef flux before calling it quits. 3 weeks with that in your tank and all that hair algae will turn white and wither away. Clean up crew like your tangs should destroy it afterwards. It's worth the 15 dollars before stopping all together.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Thanks everyone. Let me try some of these suggestions and I'll keep everyone posted.
Don't give up, can't tell you how many times I thought about it in the past 3 years- got through them all with a little help from my friends here

What equipment is breaking ? And define breaking. I would literally buy as many Mexican turbo snails as you can afford. That will work

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Dose peroxide 1ml per 10g for a week. Then a 3 day blackout but keep dosing peroxide. If you need Vibrant I have some, located in Lakewood.

Rueric

NJRC Member
In the same boat as you my friend, been battling GHA for the past 6 months.
here’s what I’ve tried with not much luck:
Chemipure elite (has gfo)
Skimmer + refugium
Raising mag (1500)
Reef flux
Flux rx
Peroxide dosing (10ml for my 32g)
Big cuc (astrae, turbos, emerald crab) (my snails keep dying, I’m trying to figure out why)

hang in there, there’s more options that I haven’t yet tried:
Vibrant
Seahares
Rip clean
More cuc

horseplay

NJRC Member
Flux RX worked for me very well. Hair algae started dying off after a few days eventually all gone. 6 months later it started making a come back and I spot treated with Hydrogen Peroxide with great success. It is still there but under control. Shut down the flow and squirt some peroxide to the base of the hair algae. It is gone usually after 3 days. Hydrogen Peroxide definitely works as a spot treatment.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
sorry to hear. we've all been through stuff. I lost tanks when sandy hit. I lost almost all my fish to velvet. I lost tons of corals when bubble algae took over. I lost sps to black bugs. it's all part of the hobby. I used to have GHA. I used snails and urchins and cleaned up water. I have emerald crabs for bubble algae and also run a UV. my advice for large amounts of GHA is a sea hare. those things are built for that stuff. good luck and hope you stay in the hobby.

Salted

NJRC Member
Sorry to here this Mike. If you ever want hand lmk and I’ll swing by. I’ve had some issues myself recently and know what you’re going through.

Just got back from vacation. Have an order or Mexican Turbos and other cleanup crews that should ship Monday and be here Tuesday. Also have a bottle of Vibrant. When using Vibrant, do you turn off the skimmer and any media reactor? Thanks everyone for the encouragement to get this under control and not give up!