• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Time to replace the skimmer

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Currently I have an AQUAC EV-180 skimmer that I am quite happy with. I have a 90 gallon display and a 40 Gallons Sump, so looking at 130 gallons of water.

My EV-180 has got a crack in it, so thats an excuse to either replace or upgrade.

Though some have problems with AQUAC skimmers, they have never given me a day of trouble once tuned. (I have owned EV-120 and EV-180)

Suggestions? I would like to stay in the under $400 range.

Yea, it's nice to get new "toys", on the other had $400 gets a lot of nice livestock.

If at all possible, I'd repair the existing skimmer.

Since you have been happy with that skimmer, and it is considered an excellent produce, I'd replace it with the same thing, or maybe go a size or two larger, if your existing pump can be used on a larger model.

Best of all, the same model skimmer should just drop right in, and you will not need to do any serious plumbing to make something new fit.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can fix it, but I want to go a bit bigger anyway since I will probably change the display fromm 90 to 120 for a Christmas present to myself.

Yeh, looing around RC and other places, skimmers comparisons are about as much getting people rowled up as comparing PC to T5 lighting.

Wanted to get a feel if that others are running for the 90/120 gallon range.

pgordemer said:
I... skimmers comparisons are about as much getting people rowled up as comparing PC to T5 lighting ...

Amen to that! The thing is most people have only used two or three different skimmers. Naturally, unless they bought a real piece of junk, the skimmer they are currently running "works great and is the best". People don't tend to be objective here.

I believe that once you get past the obvious "toy" (low price, low end) level skimmers, all of them are going to be good, and there is no clear winner.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
DaveK said:
Amen to that! The thing is most people have only used two or three different skimmers. Naturally, unless they bought a real piece of junk, the skimmer they are currently running "works great and is the best". People don't tend to be objective here.

I believe that once you get past the obvious "toy" (low price, low end) level skimmers, all of them are going to be good, and there is no clear winner.

I have owned 6 skimmers over the years, though Reef is new to me, FOWLR is not. Have had 5 tanks in the 55-100 range. I would say in the last 7 years what I have noticed is a better middle ground. There was always the top end and the bottom end and very little good stuff in the middle. (bases on Price/performance)

I have liked my AquaC expereinces, (I classify them in the middle ground)once tuned they run well, but tuning can be an issue for those that aren't patient.

Wou