• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Time to take my tank to the next level

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Hello all, long time lurker occasional commenter first time poster. I have a 150 gallon 6’ tank that I got a really great deal on a few years back. Tank was up running for I have no idea how many years. Came with everything needed. I’ve added zoas (lots) palys, gorgonian, rbt which is now 2, gsp huge mistake.
The guy I got the tank from only had a little 4 foot led on top. I got the current USA with loop blue tooth pumps etc 3 of the ic pro.
Looking to get new lights. Any recommendations? Kessil AP9X 2 of them? 3 is just crazy on the wallet. Chinee black boxes? Loads cheaper but do they have controllability? I’m a set it and forget it kind of person.
Thanks.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It’s all a matter of budget.
You can buy 3 box boxes and they will grow corals. They would be a huge jump from what you have.

Relassy Aquarium Led Light 800W, Dimmable Coral Reef Light for Saltwater Aquarium Fish Tank, Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Plant Light with Daisy Chain Function https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082CWDPVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wGikFbMY3VWDV

At $100 each you will need 3 that’s the cheapest way to light a tank.

Look at the deals section mark is selling 3 AI prime. That’s a really good deal

The way you look at it is you divided the 6ft tank into 3 24x24 square and for each square you can get a light.

If you have money my choice would be kessil 360x X 3 or kessil AP9x in the middle and two 360x on each side

You also have some one else on deals and steals selling a 60” t5 hybrid for $350 that’s a great deal. And all you have to do is add some leds

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Thanks for the quick reply. I like the idea of the AP9X in the middle and the 360x on each side. That would probably look pretty sharp and not cost too much. I really like the ramp up and down of the current which Kessil would give me. Always lurking in steals and deals and didn’t see the primes will check. Thanks again.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
also depends what you want to keep in the tank. sps lps zooz softies ? if you plan on going SPS, my advice is spend now on great lights, so that you dont have to change them out for better ones later on. I ran kessils 360WE with T5s. got crazy growth. hope this helps

eli smoke

NJRC Member
That’s pretty much the plan. I already spent a fair bit on the current USA set up and don’t want to do that again. Nothing wrong with current just time to graduate to more challenging corals. I’m liking the idea of the AP9X and the two a360x on each side. And with that I could expand maybe another ap or a couple more a360. If I’m not mistaken it would be the a360x tuna blue?
Someday if meetings ever resume and there is one in cape May or Atlantic county it’s on my list.

That’s pretty much the plan. I already spent a fair bit on the current USA set up and don’t want to do that again. Nothing wrong with current just time to graduate to more challenging corals. I’m liking the idea of the AP9X and the two a360x on each side. And with that I could expand maybe another ap or a couple more a360. If I’m not mistaken it would be the a360x tuna blue?
Someday if meetings ever resume and there is one in cape May or Atlantic county it’s on my list.
You should join one of the zoom virtual meetings. Good way to connect with other Reefers and ask questions till your blue

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Went with 2 Ap9x a 3rd is on the list. Tough justifying 2600 on lights all at once.
Figured I would just put them over the the taller rock piles on each side of the tank and supplement with 2 of my three current ic pro.
FYI just found fish-street is selling tuna blue clones.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That’s amazing. How do you like the kessil?
I would get rid of the current / sell them and use that money to buy the 3rd kessil or maybe some reef brites. If you have a canopy then adding these lights is ok.
If it’s a open top then I would just leave the kessil.

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Haven’t gotten them yet. Ordered them this morning. I want to build a canopy to put the lights in. I think they look nice. I’ll let you know how they are.