• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tiny white starfish too many ??

wow you got lucky to get that many out at once : )

How do up post pictures?

I want to show you the seahorse I have

I click the picture button but it dont let me uplod anything

???

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Jenn,
There is a size restriction. I think the pic cannot be bigger than 1024 x 1024.
Mark

I'm of the opinion that these things are nothing but good for tanks.

They only will attack dying coral/clams from what I've seen. I've never once seen any of them ever attack anything healthy in any tank I've ever had nor in any tank that I've ever looked at with the same question being proposed to me.

I think there is a lot of overreaction with these wonderful CUC members.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jenn said:
How do up post pictures?

I want to show you the seahorse I have

I click the picture button but it dont let me uplod anything

???

Jenn, you cannot post pictures directly.  They must come from a host site.  Here’s the link that tells you how to post pic’s on NJRC.  Note that you cannot use NJRC’s Photo Gallery unless you are a member.  I use Photobucket.  It’s free and easy to use.

http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=25

Agree with Jonathan on asterina. They get a bad rep but i think they only eat dying corals/clams. My snails and hermits do that too. I only have 1 in my tank. Don't know why they don't multiply.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with jonathan and calaxa. The only time I ever seen any on my corals were when they were cleaning algae off a dead spot on the coral.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with Mike and Bill and Jonathan. Although you CAN have too many. I do think that these, not unlike other pests, seem to multiply along with the levels of detritus in our systems which may explain the different experiences in population growth (of course this is just a hunch).

Phyl said:
I agree with Mike and Bill and Jonathan. Although you CAN have too many. I do think that these, not unlike other pests, seem to multiply along with the levels of detritus in our systems which may explain the different experiences in population growth (of course this is just a hunch).

I was wondering why the wide difference in reproduction rates. Sounds like a good hunch.

Since I have a larger relative bioload in the 180 than I had before, I'll watch for larger populations.

I'm sure that it is detritus related but there must be other factors. I had enough nutrients to get a cyano/hair algae bloom but never got any of these asterinas to multiply. I must have something in system that is preying on them (sand sifting seastar perhaps?)