• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tips to get a Tomini to eat nori?

This is crazy and blowing my mind. I've never had trouble getting a tang to eat nori, but this Tomini just won't go for it. I've had it for 2 weeks now and eats frozen like a pig and has pretty much cleared out all the GHA so now I want to start supplementing it with nori. I've tried the nori clip and the nori gadget from innovative marine, but no luck. Next, I'm going to try soaking the nori with garlic and selcon. Any other tips?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This is crazy and blowing my mind. I've never had trouble getting a tang to eat nori, but this Tomini just won't go for it. I've had it for 2 weeks now and eats frozen like a pig and has pretty much cleared out all the GHA so now I want to start supplementing it with nori. I've tried the nori clip and the nori gadget from innovative marine, but no luck. Next, I'm going to try soaking the nori with garlic and selcon. Any other tips?

No need to soak in garlic. You can cut it into little pieces and add it to the frozen food. LRS has a frozen food that has the pieces of nori in it. They will eat nori
If he just been in the tank I wouldn’t worry.
If you add another fish, tank that eats it he will also eat.

Make sure you are using nori with out any oils. In the beginning get it for the aquarium.

No need to soak in garlic. You can cut it into little pieces and add it to the frozen food. LRS has a frozen food that has the pieces of nori in it. They will eat nori
If he just been in the tank I wouldn’t worry.
If you add another fish, tank that eats it he will also eat.

Make sure you are using nori with out any oils. In the beginning get it for the aquarium.
Thank you!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
410Reefer and I just, literally, had this conversation in person at 6:30, about the sime time you were posting this. Quite a coincidence.
We discussed how our Tominis wont eat nori from a clip in sheet form but they do eat pieces when its free floating.
Just chop or rip some up and feed with the normal food.

410Reefer and I just, literally, had this conversation in person at 6:30, about the sime time you were posting this. Quite a coincidence.
We discussed how our Tominis wont eat nori from a clip in sheet form but they do eat pieces when its free floating.
Just chop or rip some up and feed with the normal food.
Haha what a hell of a coincidence.
I’ll definitely start doing that. I also just ordered some NLS aglaemax. Thank you, Mark!

eholceker

NJRC Member
Similar to kole tangs not all will actually eat nori. Rubber band to a rock may get it going. Instead of nori can always feed hikari seaweed extreme instead.

Salted

NJRC Member
Similar to kole tangs not all will actually eat nori. Rubber band to a rock may get it going. Instead of nori can always feed hikari seaweed extreme instead.
I currently have a yellow eye kole in quarantine. I put a small piece of nori in the clip with a drop of selcon and a drop of garlic. I do two drops of garlic n the tank and wait a few minutes before putting the clip in. Took a few days but he’s now eating from the clip pretty readily with me watching. Very happy he’s getting comfortable can’t wait to see this handsome fish in my display.

I currently have a yellow eye kole in quarantine. I put a small piece of nori in the clip with a drop of selcon and a drop of garlic. I do two drops of garlic n the tank and wait a few minutes before putting the clip in. Took a few days but he’s now eating from the clip pretty readily with me watching. Very happy he’s getting comfortable can’t wait to see this handsome fish in my display.
Awesome! Yeah I think this is a great idea