• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

To skim or not to skim?

I know some people who have been very sucessful not skimming. I currently skim but will be setting up a new tank shortly. I recently read an article re: Miracle mud / algae sumps. Has anyone out there used miracle mud. Any other Non skimmers our there? Just looking for more opinions before I decide on what I will do. I'm not afraid to spend the money as I will be doing this on a gradual basis....Just looking for the best solution with the least amount of maintenance.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Steve
I've heard of major systems crashes with mud with no reasons why it happened,that's why I had the aggregate in the sump.

As for skimming you saw the 150 here unskimmed for over a year,I don't think you had any complaints on the way the livestock looked,but I do think with skimming it's a matter of preference.And as stated water changes were only twice a year,no rodi I'm an old school reefer less is more in my eyes.You have my number so anything you need just give a call.
Jim

yeah your system was beautiful! I really thinkin about just duplicating it!!! I already have the RO/di unit so I thinking I might as well use it!! Hopefully I can spend some time on the tank this weekend!!

I would consider a skimmer to be "highly desirable" on most reef systems. Unless you are planning some sort of experimental system, go with a large powerful skimmer. It will save you a lot of problems.

The key factor is that a skimmer is one of the few filtration devices that remove waste products before the rest of the biological and chemical filtration system needs to deal with them. This means that you'll tend to have a lot less nitrate and phosphate.

As for the "miracle mud" systems, you'll see that the company also sells systems with a skimmer. It is true, the systems do work. I used similar systems at one time. However I did add a skimmer and in time I switched over to using a berlin sump and large skimmer.

what size tank are you planning and what kind of stocking for a skimmerless set up?

when i ran a skimmerless nano my soft corals looked better then they ever have in my heavily skimmed sps dominated low nutrient tank. so if you dont go crazy with the fish stocking and stick to coral that do well with elevated protien levels then no reason why you couldnt do it.