• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

toadstool query

I put a toadstool that wasnt looking to go good from my minireef into my DT. If it dies, is there any chance it can release any kind of toxin or cause an amonia spike in my 210DT? if so, i want to get him out cause dont want to risk killing any of my fish.

Pete

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That will depend on the size of the toadstool. You can usually tell when they are on their way out and remove them from the tank.

If they remain closed for a long time (week or more), have flesh falling off or fall apart when touched then it would be a good time to remove them. If the flesh is still firm to the touch then I'd just give it some time and keep an eye on it. It's not uncommon for leathers to close up for up to a week when they are going through a growth spurt. As they near the end of that spurt they will shed their outer mucus coating and open up bigger and better than before.

Any way you can get a picture of the toadstool in question?

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. I think part of the reason he closed up for about a week was that i didn't realize the heater in the 40g tank stopped working and the water was pretty cold! I put him in my 210 where i run pc & MH combo. thanks for the info Matt.

Pete

Hard to kill one, sounds like you just made it unhappy, I just had one close up and turn greywhite, did not wax over, two weeks, today it is open and happy, like matt said, if you see it melting, yank it out if not just give it time.

Ok I do not like that, slumping not good, LFS, buy Furan-2, take the toad out, if you have to chisel some the rock out under its foot, but try not to do further damage to it, use tank water, mix half a pack and mix with 2-3 glass of tank water, cannot over do it, dip for 20 min, watch the temp, keep it warm, place back in tank in a medium flow area, must have flow! See what happens. May take a few days to a week. I have saved more than a few softys this way.
Greg