• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Toadstool

Having a problem with my toadstool - the tentacles won't come out- what could be wrong

In direct flow, medium light moved them all around the tank

What next?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It could be shedding. One thing i've learned in my limited years of reefing is that leather corals are WEIRD. They can go from looking beautiful, to terrible and back again for no apparent reason.

I would give it a few days before you try anything drastic.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Moving it around may stress it more, so if it still feels firm to the touch it is likely shedding. Good (not crazy) flow will help this process along. Could take a day or three, but it should be back in no time. Grows and sheds like a snake.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is this toadstool new to the tank? I introduced one into my father;s tank and it took 3 weeks to open at all.

Mine closes up every once in a while for about an hour or two, just whenever it feels like it.

I agree moving it will stress it out. While my blenny napping in his leather recliner does not bother it. Mine recently was closed for couple weeks after move so would let it be unless it looks like it is rotting or something.

JRWOHLER said:
I agree moving it will stress it out. While my blenny napping in his leather recliner does not bother it. Mine recently was closed for couple weeks after move so would let it be unless it looks like it is rotting or something.

++1 Mine are both about five years old and close periodically for several days at a time. If the flesh is still firm, no need to worry.