• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Too many at once?

Are 2 clowns and 2 bangaii too much in a newly cycled 50 gallon tank using Dr. Tim's? Would hate to spend $60 on shipping for only 1-2 fish.

Rueric

NJRC Member
buy a seachem ammonia badge, stick it on your tank and monitor the ammonia closely.
have water readily on hand to do a water change if needed

It can be done feed very sparingly. If it's live rock you'll have a much easier road. For clowns and banggai , I'd shop local. We have a Clownfish breeder in the club. Absolutely fish breeds their own clowns. And any LFS can order wild or captive bred.

It can be done feed very sparingly. If it's live rock you'll have a much easier road. For clowns and banggai , I'd shop local. We have a Clownfish breeder in the club. Absolutely fish breeds their own clowns. And any LFS can order wild or captive bred.
I was told that the stores around here house their captive bred fish in their main systems....

I don't have the space to run my own QT so was going to order already QT'd fish. Do you know of a local store thar doesn't add them to their main system and keeps them sterile?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I have never used Doctor Tim but have used Biospira for cycling all my tanks. With biospira fish has to be added at the same time. Never had any issues.
So if you use biospira - it is safe to add 4 of them in 50 gallon.

I was told that the stores around here house their captive bred fish in their main systems....

I don't have the space to run my own QT so was going to order already QT'd fish. Do you know of a local store thar doesn't add them to their main system and keeps them sterile?
I don't know for sure but call up absolutely fish and ask?

Rueric

NJRC Member
I used and had good experience with Fritz Turbo start.. did some research on reef2reef and people liked that one the most at the time

Yes as long as you use the recommended amount of dr times for the tank size. Those 4 fish won't cause a massive ammonia spike. But if you want to be careful, just get a ammonia badge and keep an eye on it. I've done way more than that with no issue (with constant monitoring of the cycle)
If any ammonia shows, just use Prime. Or water changes. But honestly, Prime or Fritz will be plenty for those fish

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That is not overloaded at all for that size tank and with the instant cycle stuff (we have used both) you should be fine. Just add at the same time, some people add the bacteria before fish so they have nothing to eat and die off which will then trigger a cycle when you add the fish. Ammonia badge to be safe. have some extra saltwater around if you need to do an emergency water change.