• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Too Many Breakdowns - Vent Thread

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
On Valentine's Day, I went shopping with my sweetie for a new motor.

I've had a number of breakdowns in the tank this past month, and to top it off, the motor on my bandsaw died.....no big deal, I think I have a spare motor for that somewhere (and I haven't looked because I have a second bandsaw), and now just today, the motor on my drill press smoked so bad I had to leave the shop quickly, after unplugging it. I thought for sure it would start on fire, the smoke and smell was so bad, so I stood back and kept an eye on it for a bit.

So now it turns out, I don't think it's an easy (and financially sound) fix. The bloody motor in this press (dated 1981) has a 14 mm shaft. Have you ever shopped for a 14 mm shaft 1/2 hp motor? So now I'm thinking I'll either buy a 1/2" shaft motor and get a sleeve (about 175 smackers), or a 5/8" shaft motor and new 5 step cone pulley (conservatively 200 bananas......if I go Harbor Freight, their 1/2 HP motor is 120 and the pulley is around $50)!!!!!!! Are you kidding me! So I'm shopping for a used drill press and going to use this one as a boat anchor. FYI, a Wen table top drill press, new, is under $150.

No more breakdowns! I'm done.

On Valentine's Day, I went shopping with my sweetie for a new motor.

I've had a number of breakdowns in the tank this past month, and to top it off, the motor on my bandsaw died.....no big deal, I think I have a spare motor for that somewhere (and I haven't looked because I have a second bandsaw), and now just today, the motor on my drill press smoked so bad I had to leave the shop quickly, after unplugging it. I thought for sure it would start on fire, the smoke and smell was so bad, so I stood back and kept an eye on it for a bit.

So now it turns out, I don't think it's an easy (and financially sound) fix. The bloody motor in this press (dated 1981) has a 14 mm shaft. Have you ever shopped for a 14 mm shaft 1/2 hp motor? So now I'm thinking I'll either buy a 1/2" shaft motor and get a sleeve (about 175 smackers), or a 5/8" shaft motor and new 5 step cone pulley (conservatively 200 bananas......if I go Harbor Freight, their 1/2 HP motor is 120 and the pulley is around $50)!!!!!!! Are you kidding me! So I'm shopping for a used drill press and going to use this one as a boat anchor. FYI, a Wen table top drill press, new, is under $150.

No more breakdowns! I'm done.
can i ask what kinda show do you run

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
sorry i ment shop not show dang auto correct

That darn auto correct! It's caught me a couple times....I like powerhead becomes showerhead.

Anyway, it's pretty much a wood shop now.....large tools include a drill press, radial arm saw, two band saws, a jointer planer, a router table and a compound miter saw. Use to have a four foot Atlas metal lathe, but that's been moved out to the garage and it's for sale....and the reason for two band saws is one was set up for metal while the other was for wood. I've already sold the wood lathe.