• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Too many dwarf seahorses

I was wondering how I could go about trying to sell some of these dwarf seahorses.
Facebook doesn't allow animals. Craig's list has livestock but didn't see pets. EBay but I don't want to ship... would rather be more local.
I also would like to make sure the person interested understands they are a lot of work. To be ready with cycled tank (I could send with cycled sponge) and bbs with enrichment (could send with some but they would have to learn how to do).
I gave lfs (freshwater only) my phone number in case it ever comes up and another store (that isn't so local) said would consider but only does livestock trade and since I don't do coral...
I should also mention that it seems like all the places people usually go for dwarfs don't have any available at the moment.
20200321_164831.jpg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
How many you have now?

You can try and sell them via Craigslist and local forums.
FB allows but up to page, usually I see only selling on Fri.
I would just highlight local pick-up.
Can always ask them questions to ensure the tiny guys will do well.
My son did this with his turtlrs. If he didn't like the answers would move to next person.

How many you have now?

You can try and sell them via Craigslist and local forums.
FB allows but up to page, usually I see only selling on Fri.
I would just highlight local pick-up.
Can always ask them questions to ensure the tiny guys will do well.
My son did this with his turtlrs. If he didn't like the answers would move to next person.
I couldn't find a pet section in Craigslist...just livestock.
What do you mean "up to page"? I sold a puppy pen with picture of my dog in it and got pulled until I pointed out that dog was just for size and ad stated that dog was not for sale.
Where exactly did your son sell his turtles from?

Update: Craigslist says cannot sell pets

Last edited:
Do they really breed that quickly ?
Every 10-14 days. (need to have lights on longer to encourage)
They can have up to 30 at a time but my average is about 10.
And they are ready to breed at couple months.
Reason they breed so easily is that they have a short life span.
Most people have trouble being able to raise the babies to adult.
My first generation has started to breed so I'll be expecting more soon.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I couldn't find a pet section in Craigslist...just livestock.
What do you mean "up to page"? I sold a puppy pen with picture of my dog in it and got pulled until I pointed out that dog was just for size and ad stated that dog was not for sale.
Where exactly did your son sell his turtles from?

Update: Craigslist says cannot sell pets

Dee, in some sites I am in the disclaimer is usually only sales post allowed on this day. I have seen equipment and live animals.
My son sold them on some reptile forum.
I also have seen live fish for sale in CL.

I've never had issues selling livestock on CL, there's a pets section under Community but not much of a fish following, mostly cats, dogs and reptiles. That's why I usually list under General - For sale by owner.

Don’t even think about it brother,, you still have much to learn (as do I) I’m not even gonna try with such delicate creatures
Lots more involved with these tiny little guys
They really aren't delicate, it's the bbs hatching that takes up most of the room and time.

Dee, in some sites I am in the disclaimer is usually only sales post allowed on this day. I have seen equipment and live animals.
My son sold them on some reptile forum.
I also have seen live fish for sale in CL.
Under what heading? I searched saltwater fish and a fish tank and several boats came up lol :stupid:

I've never had issues selling livestock on CL, there's a pets section under Community but not much of a fish following, mostly cats, dogs and reptiles. That's why I usually list under General - For sale by owner.
I saw that pet section in the community but right next to it in big letters it said that you cannot sell pets. Ugh
Okies, I'll give General a try. Thank you

You're not selling pets, you have pets for adoption, with a respectable adoption fee, to make sure they go to good homes. ;)

I was able to sell two groups of 6 and one of those people said she had friends that may be interested.
I was honest and explained to people who said they were interested that there was a lot of work to them. I didn't want them to go to a place that wasn't going to be able to keep them alive. The one person had salt in the past and the second's husband has a reef tank so I felt comfortable letting them go.
Two different friends said I was letting them go at a great bargin especially since there are none available at the regular places at the moment.
Still have about 24 available :chuncky:

Sold another group, have someone coming on Friday and someone else really interested.
AND
I looked in the tank and there were more babies!!
I have to get those nitrates under control though... hate bare bottom but might have to go that way

some pet shops will take livestock and give credit. i mean if you're in a bind to really get rid of them.
Thank you... I talked with ACC about it and will make a connection in the future.
Another lfs said he won't take them because too much work to keep alive but took my number in case anyone ever asked for some.