• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Torch Names/Descriptions

erics210

NJRC Member
Euphyllia Glabrescens (GLABS)

Hello,
Does anyone know where I can find a list of common designer torch (pom pom coral) names and characteristics?
I hear some names more commonly thrown around to identify the higher end torches.

I wanna just throw out my thoughts and hope for some input.

Seems there are two places they are sourced from for the Reefing hobby, Australia and Indonesia with the Aussie versions found in the wild closer to the surface and usually a larger skeletal structure and thicker tentacle/polyps.
The Info versions are found a little deeper and usually smaller polyps/thinner tentacles.
Also see Tonga Torches, but to a lesser extent.

As far as the more common designer names I have seen are:
Holy Grail Torch
Hell Fire Torch
Dragon Soul Torch
NY Knicks Torch
Gold Torch
24KT Gold Torch
Joker Torch
Jester Torch
Inferno Torch
Cotton Candy Torch(green with blue and/or pink tips)
Green Torch
Black Torch
Atomic Torch
Cristata Torch (short tentacles)

Honorable mention:
Hurricanes, Sweet tooth, Blueberry,

Then the use of Ultra, Neon, and variations of tip color I am sure.

I thought it was cool that Ultra Coral Australia (UCA) managed to sexually reproduce Euphyllia glabrescens in their facility in central Queensland. They are currently growing colonies from last year’s spawn. Story from Jan 2019.

My little torch colony.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210117-080827.png
    Screenshot_20210117-080827.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I remember a few years back it was ....green torch or rainbow torch.......20/head or 40/head. i used to negotiate on 40/head !! now these prices are insane!!

erics210

NJRC Member
I remember a few years back it was ....green torch or rainbow torch.......20/head or 40/head. i used to negotiate on 40/head !! now these prices are insane!!
My first Reefapalooza in 2016 or 2017. I say hammers for $15 and them these redixculously expensive colored one yellow with pink tips, orange etc. They were asking crazy prices...like $40!
LMAO!

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Just another reef cycle, coral costs go up and down by availability and forum buzz, ohh I gotta have it, wham price goes up. All coral venders put there own name on existing coral and try to charge more.
Granted there are truly rare and beautiful specimens out there that will always command high dollars but what most don’t get is that if your tank is really successful and the coral is big and growing chances are even if they are the most common and cheap coral you can find the tank will probably be beautiful.