• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

toyota frames?

i was on my way back from TSM today and i made a wrong turn somewhere. i ended up in the backyard of a toyota dealer. dude they had like vehicle frames everywhere! like brand new ones and old ones stacked on the side. what the hell? toyota is a piece of crap now?

I dont know where they get the steel from but 1
of my friends had Toyota buy his truck back because the frame snapped in half and another friend had Toyota replace his frame.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thank you @mickey , you just gave me a good laugh and deja vu moment about my 1974 Datsun 260Z (now called Nissan)...purchase brand new:

Datsun 60Z.jpg

It was a rust bucket within a couple years. I was later told by a good friend that on a hot summer night you could pull it into your garage, close the door and turn out the lights, sit in a beach chair sipping on a beer, and could hear it rusting. It got so bad, I had no passenger floor. On a snowy day, it would be like a snow globe inside the car. The snow would come up through the floor and swirl around the inside of the car.

Anyway, Japanese steel used to be crap. They didn’t monitor the oxygen content (carbon content) in their open floor arc furnaces. This steel was made to rust….and it did. I was under the assumption that by the 80’s they had improved their steel production…..I guess not! Certainly not for Toyota. I now own Honda’s and don’t have this problem.

This is why they are doing frame replacements..........My buddy had Toyota spray his new pickup with some kind of frame coater to prevent rusting. Turns out the damn stuff never dried. Scary thing is they are doing these frame replacements in 6 hours! My buddy took his truck in on a Wednesday morning, and by lunch time they called and said his truck was just about ready for pick up. they literally dissasembled the whole truck in the service center and put it back together. He got a new frame all new brake, fuel lines, ball joints and brakes, wiring harness in 6 hours. He immediately took the truck to his private service shop for inspection. Odly enough the only thing they found wrong was a loos bolt holding a fender brace on.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Same thing with my friends tundra rotted frame but they warranty it then his engine failed no warranty had to pay to get it replaced.

so what you are saying is that the steel they are using sucks. where are they getting it from. how come other cars arent rotting away
I can assure you, as the owner of several Jeeps and a slew of Ford trucks, U.S. steel rusts just as well and Chinese steel

I can assure you, as the owner of several Jeeps and a slew of Ford trucks, U.S. steel rusts just as well and Chinese steel
yeah i have seen other cars rust, but ive never been to a dealership that had stacks and stacks of new frames on one side and stacks and stacks of used frames on the other side

Salted

NJRC Member
New frame installed under my '10 Tacoma last year. They rot away. Most everything under them does. Brake lines were replaced by the dealer with the frame but I had to take care of all the weeping auto trans lines myself. That being said American cars are no better. My purchased brand new '99 Durango was a rusted pile of junk when I sold it 10 years later. I kept it nice. Interior was like new and it ran well w/ only 100k on it. I'd replaced all the brake lines. I lost the brakes on my way home one day and was able to nurse it home. Trans lines all rotted away. I was lucky to see trans fluid running out when I got home one day and to not have driven off the next morn and lost the trans. Started noticing a clunk in back. Jacked up the rear and put jack stands under the frame. When I let the jack down the axle dropped back to the ground. The leaf spring shackles had both rusted away :( . Front bumper was swiss cheese, all the window trim was swollen and rotted. Lift gate bottom was rotted away at the bottom all the way across. I'll drive my Tacoma as far as it goes and when it's done I'll lease from that point on and never own another car.