• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Traveling on vacation for a week in June Auto fish feeder suggestions

So i have fluval evo 13.5 but going on vacation for a week. It never needs top off w/ hood on especially for a week. Open to thoughts or ideas, i do plan to have someone check on it, but looking at automated feeders i guess? is this a terrible idea?... Also super excited to go somewhere besides the usual 5 places :)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I picked a cheap one up on AMZ fir under $20. Only 3 options, 2x in 24hr - every 12 hrs, 1x in 24 hr or 1x 48hr. I used the last opt to be safe. Only downside was no clock. It starts counting the time as soon as you plug it in.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've always used the eheim. reliable for flakes and pellets. make sure you tape the slot so that it doesn't accidentally open all the way. you can chdck some petcos and pet smarts carry them

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Plus 2 for eheim have one on both of my tanks to supplement my frozen food - fish know when it's gonna feed and I have a plastic ring floating at top for food to catch in

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Same as above for me. For short trips an Eheim dumping flake into a feeding ring (or my surface skimmer eats it all). Never a concern.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I found the eheim feeder just feed too much for a small tank. Depending on the fish you most likely don't need to feed for a week. When I am not home I try to keep the tank equipment as simple as possible to avoid any failures.

Adam L

NJRC Member
I found the eheim feeder just feed too much for a small tank. Depending on the fish you most likely don't need to feed for a week. When I am not home I try to keep the tank equipment as simple as possible to avoid any failures.
You have to tape up the slot to make it work on small tank.