• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

tropic marin pro reef - calcium reactor??

i picked up some tropic marin pro reef and it says on the box that it should be used with tanks with calcium reactors. this doesnt seem to make sense. their logic is alk will be down if you use a calcium reactor, so it starts with a lower alk

is this something i should worry about. i dont use a calcium reactor, and i wont either. should i return this and get regular tropic marin. i have a couple LPS so i thought i needed the reef pro version.

is all this marketing mumbo jumbo and i should just use it and keep an eye on my numbers or is this not the right stuff to use

Regular Tropic Marin salt was developed to be used with regular SW or Reef tanks.
Tropic Marin Pro Reef was specifically designed to be used with systems that use Calcium Reactors.
Calcium Reactors can cause the Alk of the tank to go up so to compensate, the Pro Reef salt has a lower Alk level.
But this means that if you don't use the salt with a Calcium Reactor, you are likely to have a lower Alk level in your system.
If your Alk level is low, you can experience low PH and/or PH swings.

So if you use the pro salt keep an eye on your Alk levels and buy some baking soda.