• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tunze like design in a cheap alternative

Hi guys it looks like hydor has come out with a tunze like powerhead for really cheap prices, it lacks any controller options but looking at the low wattage, and high power they seem like a decent product what do you guys think.

lg-29128-38985-pump.jpg

th-29128-38860-pump.jpg

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15955&N=2004+2035

Model Flow Rate Watts Dimensions
Koralia 1 400 gph         3.5               2-1/4" x 5"
Koralia 2 600 gph         4.5          2-7/8" x 5-7/8"
Koralia 3 850 gph         6.5               2-7/8" x 5-7/8"
Koralia 4 1,200 gph 8.5               3-1/4" x 6-1/4"

Supposedly they work on the seio controllers, if they work on that I don't see why they shouldn't work on the AC controllers.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL. I couldn't figure out why Mike would be asking if it worked on AC. I saw a power cord in the photo...

Thanks for clearing THAT up, Tom!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There is a thread about these floating around somewhere... I'll have to see if I can dig it up

Has anyone check out the Vortech version also. Yes it's expensive ($300 bucks on ebay which is normally $400 every where else.) but it does not radiate heat since the motor is outside the tank and the propeller is of course in the water. The motor is a magnet that holds on to the propeller with the tank in between.
I just ordered one. I will tell everyone how it works.
I hate hanging to much in the tank, it just builds to much waste on it anyway.

Here it is:
http://www.ecotechmarine.com/

Also YES it RUNS ON AC power !Go figure....

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have one on a 125gal SPS tank and have to keep it at it's lowest setting.

Well it works great. I know $300 bills but this will lower my temp already a few degrees by pulling out my power filters.

Hey guys/gals:

I just got in one of the Hydor Koralia Model #3 today (SUPER fast shipping from Dr. Fosters, btw! WOW!)

I like it. It's not much bigger than the Tunze nano 6045 I have on the opposite end, and moves the water really well. I have it in a 55 gallon long, and the magnet holds well.

Time will tell how it holds up vs the Tunze, but so far, that price can't be beat!

Just thought I'd chime in.

So is it diffussed enough? how about powerwise? would love to see a picture of it running if you could manage.

FS and fast shipping thats never happened to me... usually takes like 8-9 days!!

I think the water flow is pretty wide. Definitely as wide if not wider than the tunze on the opposite side of the tank.

I just went out of town this evening for the week, but when I get back, I will try to get some video of the unit running for you.

Maybe Saturday or Sunday, depending on how this trip works out.

-----------------------
Matt (mfisher2112)
-----------------------

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We need to have our PA liason check with them about carrying them for February!

That would be awesome! I think at this point I would order more. Especially since I am considering upgrading the tank this summer.

------------------------
Matt (mfisher2112)
------------------------

I just got model #4 and will be posting pictures of it later tonight. Its not as large I thought very sturdy. I think there's no reason to mod a maxijet when you can get something premade of this quality

yeah those new pumps took down the maxijets mood down, for the price, performence and look, i dont think its a need to mood a mj

Seeing I have a WTB post on the Tunze, very interested in seeing how everything is working. Waiting to get paid this Friday and I was going to shell out my OverTime money. With the magnetic holder the tunze is around $160 on MarineDepot.

I've been running the #3 model for a few weeks now. I have to say, it has been impressive. No issues with it stay up with the magnet and suction cup combo. The water movement is good, the pump is quiet and fairly efficient.

I have a tunce nano-stream 6045 on the opposite side of the tank, and quite frankly, I'm thinking the koralia moves more water in a wider pattern.

I would recomend them if asked!