• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Turbo snail question

When i first got inc=involved in the hobby in January i bought 2 turbo snails from petco. they did not exactly look like the typical turbo so i am not sure. Anyway they seem to be nocturnal as i never see them. Just the other night i noticed them out they are the size of golfballs and i also started noticing some of my corals getting knocked over. Are these to large/ will the crawl across corals? do they eat mushrooms or leathers?

I've never heard of them eating any corals, but they are niterious for bulldozing things. Personally, my turbo's rarely go on the rocks.. actually none of my snails (5 diff types) go on the rock work. So, I've never had a problem.

Also, I think there was a dicussion about this a few days ago as well. It may have been John or Phil who said that when Turbo's are smaller they are fine, but as they get golfball size they tend to do the most damage.

You can always glue your corals down. No idea if that will help or not though.

this is a mexican turbo snail. they are golfball size while astrae turbos which are smaller, cone shaped ones and cant flip themselves back over in the sand so they just lay there and die. personally i think picking up a frag or two a day is worth the cleaning services of one or two of these guys. i think if you have anymore then a few your asking for some constant work. securing the corals down always works too ofcourse.
now the real problem here is that we caught you shopping at petco, we are going to have to have a talk. :D