• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Turtle Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil,
You are correct. These are carnivores. I will have to feed them blood worms and move up to large live food as they grow until released.
Also, they require brackish water.

they do not require brackish water, ive been raising and releasing these turtles for bout 15 years always used fresh water

Ya think they're really Diamondbacks? Maybe as juvies they're dark ... this pix from the Terrapin site shows them lighter (like my adult). Either way, good luck - keep them healthy and happy! Just my 2 cents, but the reptile vet I go to says to use brackish water for Diamondbacks ... the salt is good for their shell.

buddies-sm.jpg

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
How cool and what a great learning experience for your son... Don't show my wife, Jen this... she's obsessed with Turtles and has been talking about getting one but unfortunatly not easily purchased in NJ... she wants to reuse one of my old tanks to make a refuge for it...If she could have a pet dolphin, I'm sure she would

NEW JERSEY STATUS
Species of Special Concern and Game Species

REGULATIONS
N.J. Regulations, Possession of Nongame & Exotic Wildlife, Subchapter 4. Nongame and Exotic Wildlife, 7:25-4.2 Permit required:
“(a) Except as hereinafter provided, no person shall possess any nongame species or exotic species of any mammal, bird, reptile or amphibian unless such person has first received both the appropriate permit from the Department as listed in N.J.A.C. 7:25-4.6(a) as well as any other state, municipal, or Federal permits or licenses which may be required to possess such species. Any permit issued to an applicant by the Department for the possession of any animal shall not exempt that applicant from compliance with any other law of the State of New Jersey or any municipal or federal law… (b) No person shall liberate within this state any nongame species or exotic mammal, bird, reptile, or amphibian unless such person has first received a permit from the Department, which explicitly allows the release of nongame species or exotic mammals, birds, reptiles or amphibians.”

N.J. Regulations, Subchapter 21. Terrapin Regulations:
“Subchapter historical note. Subchapter 21, Terrapin Regulations, was adopted as R1981 d.198, effective July 9, 1981. See: 13 N.J.R. 405(a).

7:25-21.2 Designation of terrapin season
No person shall take, catch, possess, expose for sale or attempt to catch or take any Malaclemys palustris, commonly known as diamondback terrapin, except between November 1 and March 31.

7:25-21.2 Taking of terrapin
No person shall catch, take, or attempt to catch or take any terrapin from any of the waters of this state by means of a trap, pot, fyke, seine, weir or net of any description.

7:25-21.3 Size requirement
No person shall take, catch or possess any terrapin less than five inches long, measured lengthwise along the shell, not take or destroy eggs of any terrapin.”

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
NJAASReef, I am well aware of the regulation you stated. These were not taken to be sold or kept as pets. Why the DBT decided to crawl out of the creek and three houses down to lay the eggs I have no idea. The way I see it my family did a good thing. 5 of the eggs were destroyed by ants; so we took the remaining 9 hoping they would survive, which they did. In the next week we plan to release them in a nice remote area.

Mods please lock this thread.

Madreefer, you are doing a good thing which is also a wonderful learning experience for the family. Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.