• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Typhoon Skimmer Issues

Subliminal

NJRC Member
So, I bought this skimmer:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Finding a good HOT skimmer seems to be a little tough. This is my second one, and I can't get this one to work right either.

It's basically blowing zillions of bubbles into the tank, or it's just pushing water straight through with no bubbles. I just can't seem to find the sweet spot.

And to think, my old freshwater filters seemed to be doing just fine in the tank. :(

Oh yeah, and on an added note of total frustration, I've been trying to access the searchpage on rc for like 3 hours now.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Subliminal said:
Oh yeah, and on an added note of total frustration, I've been trying to access the searchpage on rc for like 3 hours now.

The deal there is that only Premium Members get search capability during peak hours. All others have to wait for off peak time (which I believe is between 3:00am and 3:02am!).

Sorry, can't help you with that skimmer, though.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I scrapped the typhoon and went back to the emporers. That thing sucked.

Maybe in the future I'll buy a 20 gallon tank or something and make a sump out of it. Not sure yet...will probably see how far i can go with my current filtration. Seems to be working great so far, although my bio load is really small with only 3 tiny fish and a few inverts...

I have the typhoon, how long did you have it hooked up? initially i had bubbles, but they quickly went away. eventually i damaged the venturi and it stopped drawing in air. The replacement part was $9. Be aware that any slim coat inhancers will cause this skimmer to spew lots of bubbles. i've been very happy with mine, i've had it about 9 months.

Red

I just added some slime coat and sadly it suddenly produced about an inch of bubbles in my sump. How long a can I expect this to last until it goes away?

As a result, my skimmer cup is full of water and if I empty it, it is only a matter of time before it fills up again.

Lessson learned...no more slime coat.

it should go away in a few hours. it's noted in the instructions that any slime inducing additives will cause this. Before i put it in my sump, i noticed it would do this if i had my hands in the tank for anything more than briefly. anything that breaks the surface tension will make it spew bubbles.

Hopefully it'll be gone by the morning. Currently still there. Should be building my sump/fuge tomorrow which should solve the issue moving forward.

I have not used the skimmer in question, so I can't comment about it being any good or not, but I do see one red flag.

Note that the skimmer only costs about $80. Compare that to an AquaC Remora at about $165, or an AquaMedic Turboflotor Hang on at about $245. In my opinion. to get the price down that far, something major got left out.

Over the years, I have found there are no bargains in buying cheep equipment. I'm interested in how this will all play out. I hope you can get the Typhoon Skimmer working, but I suspect that you'll end up replacing it after a few months of futile effort. Keep us posted!

Sorry can't help you with the Typhoon, but the Coralife super skimmer is actually pretty good for the money, about $9 more than what you paid for the typhoon. If you decide to go with a new skimmer defiantly look into the coralife.