• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ultraviolet Sterilizer on Home Reef Aquarium Poll.

Does a Ultraviolet Sterilizer Benefit Your Home Reef Aquarium?

• I run a UV Sterilizer and see a increase in the health of my fish & corals.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I run a UV Sterilizer and I don't see a difference in the health of my fish & corals.

• I run a UV Sterilizer and see a decline in the health of my fish & corals.

• I run an Ozone Generator.

• Total voters
As much debate as this topic sparks I would like to keep the poll simple. My Ultraviolet Sterilizer broke and before I decide to repair it I wanted to see if their are actual pros and cons on individuals that have actually used them or are using them on their home Reef Aquariums.

At first when it broke I would get tons of Algae on the glass but that has since cleared up about 1 week ago and now cleaning my glass happens about once a week rather then daily. I have also noticed tonz and tonz of what appear to be copapods and amphipods crawling on the aquarium glass.

I didn't vote since I don't have either (ozone or UV).

While there are tanks out there with both that are impressive, I've also seen tanks without using either that are just as comparable. Obviously there are other factors involved but it's something to consider (in essence: is it a requirement or a nice to have?)

My answer, if it existed on the poll, would be, I tried UV and found little or no benefit, so I discontinued it's use.

In your specific case, I'd just wait and see. If the system stays the same or gets better, then you didn't need UV.

So far it looks like you pod production is way up. I would consider that an advantage.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I had one and when I put the new pump on I took it off since it needed a new bulb and I never got around to hooking it back up. I haven't really noticed any difference without it.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
DaveK said:
My answer, if it existed on the poll, would be, I tried UV and found little or no benefit, so I discontinued it's use.

In your specific case, I'd just wait and see. If the system stays the same or gets better, then you didn't need UV.

So far it looks like you pod production is way up. I would consider that an advantage.
I had the same experience right down to the pods.

Bob

magic said:
DaveK said:

I had the same experience right down to the pods.

Bob

Same as well with me.

They are junk, in my opinion, and I'm glad I stopped using mine.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We ran one on our pond way back before SW. It prevented/killed "string algae" (otherwise known as hair algae, IMO), and kept the water CRYSTAL clear. Now granted the pond water got up WAY higher in temp than our SW systems, but I can't help but wonder how it could be God's gift to ponds and worthless to a SW system... Wouldn't it also kill any free-floating algae that was in the system? Wouldn't it prevent the crud buildup on the glass? Wouldn't the water be clearer?

Now at what price? Maybe if you oversize it, you reduce your pod population. Maybe if it is undersized "you saw no value to it"? What happens to pod-keepers if they happen to start it back up again? Is the increase in your pod population attributable ONLY to turning off the UV and have nothing to do with system maturity?

I just can't help but to wonder these questions. I have one I haven't been using, but I frequently think about plumbing it in to see if it helps at all (or if all my pods disappear, lol).

I'd say you have to ask yourself only one thing:

"Is my tank healthy?"

If yes, then scrap the UV. Seems to me you beat the worst of it with the algae bloom that has since cleared up.

My personal motto is "as little equipment as possible". (leaves more electricity budget for LIGHTS! LOL! ;) )

I agree..KIS(Keep it simple). I know people, myself included who would make things very complicated and get every piece of equipment possible. I have a couple of buddies who keep their setups as simple as possible and they have very nice tanks. I think sometimes the more you do..the worse off things can get. UV sterilizer had no impact on my tank.

When I first got my UV sterilizer I used to run it 12hrs on during the day and 12hrs off at night. After a few months a started run it 24/7, the only change that I notice between not having one, 12hr on/off cycle and running it 24/7 was the increase of skimate my skimmer is pulling out.

waynes reef let me know how your skimmer does after you shut it off.

Phyl, i would not say that a UV is Gods gift to ponds. I know the water is clear but is it any healther? I don't think so. I take the same stand with a UV in a SW tank, Maybe the water is clearer but is it any healther? Well maybe it is, at least for some disease. I think overall no, so i don't think i'll be using one

well i turned the uv off right after i posted, in almost 2 days what i noticed is a decrease in film on my glass and an increase in skimate from my skimmer, i had to close the air valve 1/2 a turn on my beckett

Who ever said UV was Gods' gift to ponds? I have had my pond running for a few years without it. Have one on it but forgot to switch it on one year and noticed no change at all. I have some great macro algae in it (lilly pads), maybe thats why i dont have micro algae. ever. Also i run a big wet/dry on it filled with my old sw bioballs from back in the 80's when they became popular. I do weekly partial water changes too. Never had a koi die yet.

I have run UV for most of the five-ish years I've been keeping a reef. I always ran it on my pond and always will.

I just swapped out my ASM G4x and plumbed in the MRC MR4-R. In the process, my UV has been off line. This is a major difference in skimming, and my water has never looked better. I think there's an important balance with many variables as to wether or not your system will benefit from UV. Anyway, I'll keep the UV off line for now.

That said, I will run UV for at least three weeks any time I add a new fish as a precaution, I may also set it up on my QT. With a proper sized UV and a low enough flow, I am convince that this does help to protect the health of the fish.

almost a week now no uv, my water has cleared up ten fold, my skimmer has reaaly been working great and i have only cleaned my glass once this week instead of every morning

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
waynes reef said:
almost a week now no uv, my water has cleared up ten fold, my skimmer has reaaly been working great and i have only cleaned my glass once this week instead of every morning

What do you guys attribute these results to??? I would think the UV would make the water more clear, and glass less dirty. Now you guys have me wondering if I should turn my UV light off.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm baffled. I too would have expected the skimmer to skim the dead stuff out of the water and the glass to be clearer...

im baffled also, ever since i started i was told UV..UV , now i have doubts, was it a way to make money for something we really dont need?, maybe on a quarantine tank that might have parasites, but on an established reef?