• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Unscheduled water change.

Woke up and found a small problem on Monday. Just trying to organize under my tank when I notice this....

OldSump1.jpg

Only about 10 gal leaked out and most of it was contained by the stand. So much for my day off. Ran out to the LFS and picked up a 55 gal tank. I had a 40L underthere but figured I could squeeze the bigger tank in. Cut baffels and installed as so....

NewSump1.jpg

NewSump.jpg

The fun part was sliding it in and out without the stand collapsing on the one side. I took 6 2x4 and wedged them in across the front, back, and sides to support the weight above.....

ReplaceSump.jpg

Everything went in ok with a few modifacations for the added height of the 55gal. Had to rearange the baffels a bit and tank is back up and running. Just thought I'd share and show the reason people use acrylic or rubbermaids for sumps.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I guess it must be expected in this hobby. No matter how careful you are sooner or later you will experience some sort of leak or water spill. I guess that would be a good thread. To hear of all the horror stories or to see if anyone who has been in the hobby for some time has never experienced any kind of spill/leak.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
chase33 said:
or to see if anyone who has been in the hobby for some time has never experienced any kind of spill/leak.

That's a person I'd like to meet.

God knows we've had our share of leaks. I especially like the ones from the upstairs tank. They result in water pouring out of a light fixture in our kitchen.