• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Unwanted Sponges

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Pineapple sponges are fine, I have no problem with them, I have a sponge that looks like a root from a plant. It started in the sump and I let it alone, now it's in the DT and growing in and over my rock/zoas. I tried squirting it with peroxide and that did next to nothing. I finally took one rock that was covered in it out of the tank and treated it with peroxide it looks much better, but I have some other zoas with it in/on them on large rooks that I can't take out of the tank and need a solution

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would never remove sponges from a rock.
They add a lot of bio-diversity.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
From what I understand sponges are not aggressive.
They like low light and low flow.
My sponges live in the bottom of rocks or n between rocks.
they don’t like strong light. I have never seen a sponge take over a coral.

From what I understand sponges are not aggressive.
They like low light and low flow.
My sponges live in the bottom of rocks or n between rocks.
they don’t like strong light. I have never seen a sponge take over a coral.
Not all of them are benign like that. Most sponges in most peoples tanks are benign. Sometimes you get a less common situation where it becomes a serious problem

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Not all of them are benign like that. Most sponges in most peoples tanks are benign. Sometimes you get a less common situation where it becomes a serious problem
I should have taken a pic of the rock that was covered with branch/root like sponge and was smothering the zoas on it before I took it out and treated it with peroxide- I had them in my sump- just kept an eye on them- they can clog that up too, have pineapple sponges in my sump- no problem either

This is theory, not fact, but check your silicate levels. I was dosing silicate for a while myself.

maybe you have too much