• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Upgrade to 215 !

Hey Everyone!

I just ordered the Oceanic 215 w A.O., which I should have early
January. I'm moving into my new house at the end of January, meaning
I need to buy everything by then (and not let my wife know how much $
I'll be spending). I've had a 26g bowfront + 10g. sump. for the last
four years. I currently have a 24" Coralife 150 HQi, but nothing that
I have right now will be useful for my new tank.

I need some advice regarding what exactly I'll need for the tank, from
lights to sump., pumps, plumbing, etc. I'm planning on having a sps
tank, so I'm more concerned about the lamp right now. Any
recommendations on what I should get?

Adam

To start with make sure you have at LEAST 3-4 people to move the tank in. I moved the same tank into my basement a few months ago and almost had some real problems. If I recall correctly the beast weighs in around 325lbs dry due to glass thickness. Its bulky and doesn't take kind to mistakes. :)

A few dolly's and even some plywood goes a long way in helping in addition to the headcount listed above.

I know :eek: the owner of A.O. told me that i need at least 4 guys to help me.
btw, what setup do you have? lighting etc.

Current Outer Orbit Pro Series. $1,300. And I'm sure it would be cheaper if it's available in a group buy.

72" 1062 watts in Total: 3-250 watt Metal Halides 8-39 watt T5's 12 blue LED's& 12 white LED's

In that case I would get 2 or 3 Icecap 660 ballast and run as many T5's as that allows. I think 2 can run 4 48" and just have them overlap in the middle of the tank. Or you can do 36" bulbs like the fixture does. And then get 3 250w MH HQI ballasts, reflectors, and sockets and you're all done.

But I still think a fixture is better. And by better I mean easier, warrenty, and no chance messing up the wiring.

I checed price for Lumanerc III, and 3 x 250 MH will cost me same as new -72" Outer Orbit/T5HO 3x250w 10K HQI-MH w/8x39w T5HO + LEDs . I decide and I'll go with Current, thanks Napoli

Why not get 2 Tek T5HO 80watt 60" retro's (total 4 bulbs) with 3 MH retro's, it would be cheaper than buying a fixture and also will save you money when it comes time to replace the bulbs.

mott768 said:
Why not get 2 Tek T5HO 80watt 60" retro's (total 4 bulbs) with 3 MH retro's, it would be cheaper than buying a fixture and also will save you money when it comes time to replace the bulbs.

I'm interested in the retros also. where can i find the one's your talking about

Thanks
Harry

One guy on RC have for sale this :

Dual 250 watt ballast works great! $100 shipped
Single 250 watt ballast works great! $70 shipped

The ballasts are past of a 72" 3x 250 watt 4x 55 PC retro with DIY Lunar lights I don't know how old the bulbs are but look about 6 months. There are no PC bulbs. I'll do the whole set up including the ballasts listed above for $300 shipped.

is this good deal even hi doesn't know what brand?

FYI

That Fish/That Pet Place has a number of both retro and full hood lights at great clearance. IMO They are mogul bulbs but we picked up a fixture for our 215 gallon. (3*250MH & 2*90actinic) This fixture sold for like $1000.00-$1200.00 new. If I remember correctly we picked up ours for approximately $450.00 including bulbs and ballasts. At the time we also noticed retro kits (1*250MH & 2*65actinic) fixtures with the same clearance discount. We were also able to pick them up at a greatly reduced cost.

If you want to go with the latest technology these may not be for you. This setup is perfect for what we are looking to accomplish.

I normally do not like to recommend specific vendors to individuals but these deals were hard to pass up. I was out at the store several weeks ago and they had a number of 72 inch fixtures left in stock.

Cheers.

not a bad light it's just generic, personally i'm partial to T5's they produce less heat then CF's and last longer

Harry