• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Using a Mag 24 as an external pump or advice for new one.

I just got a new sump and I was wondering if using the Mag 24 as and external pump would make it louder or more quiet.

Or should I just get a new pump?

I want one that can give me at least 1200gph with a 6 foot head.
That runs quiet and has decently low wattage.

AKA the best pump ever made.

I've used them both ways. If you use the rubber sticker that came with it, then external works fine in my experience.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you already have the pump? or are you looking to buy one? The Mags throw off a lot of heat, and are a *bit* noisy.

If you haven't bought a pump yet and want to go external, I would look into a Sequence Pump, they really are great!

Yeah I have the Mag 24 but I'm not opposed to buying a new pump if it's better. I will look into the sequence pump. Thanks Brian.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you want THE best pump, and you don't mind shelling out the money for it, a Red Dragon is supposed to be THE BEST. Of course I couldn't tell you from personal experience. I have a sequence. ;D

C

concept3

Red Dragon pump..... mmmmm *smacks lips* I wish I could afford them. Very quiet, very $$$

The mags can get pretty warm from what I've heard, and they have a decent amount of power consumption, I would try it out first and maybe replace it if you don't like the way it is performing, just make sure your plumbing is upgradeable easily so you don't have to do much

In that range I'd also suggest looking at the Awaki pumps which are dead silent (mine are) and pretty reasonable in price.

Carlo

The Mag 24 is one powerful pump. I have one and it really turns over the water. I ran it submersible for a day or two and ir raised the temperature too much. The real problem was the noise though. Way too loud for me. If someone is looking for one I have one that is a couple of months old and has only been used for about 24 hours.

I've been running a Mag 24 as a return pump (in sump) for the last 2 years (~125 G total volume). I don't run a chiller and have not had any issues with heat.

I've found a way to substantially reduce the noise level of the pump. Use 1.5" or 2" output PVC right off the pump and then reduce as necessary closer to the returns. I have mine plumbed with a 2" check valve on the pumps output. Cuts the noise in half and the pump runs more efficient due to reduction of back pressure. This also might be the reason I don't have any heat issues.

Do a little reading on the Dolphin Ampmaster 3000, Dead quiet, great recirculating pump. Very low advertised voltage.

I can give you a great deal on a used one if interested.