• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

UV Sterilizer. YES OR NO?

Ok here is a lite topic. Should one use a UV sterilizer even if they don't have an algae problem? I guess what I'm trying to say is, lets say you have a new build, would you incorporate a UV sterilizer as a preventative? Or is it just a waist of space and money?

I do believe the value in a UV system is more in the fighting of parasites in the water for the health of your fish then the algae control. But I also think that you should fully cycle your tank before adding a UV system.. That being said I have never run a UV on any of my systems but that is simply because of cost.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Any expected tangs. If yes. Then the answer is
hell yeah !!!! One stressful event will result in an Ick outbreak that will kill the tank.

You don't have to run it 24-7. But when you see that first white spot. Turn on the nuke !!!!

Any expected tangs. If yes. Then the answer is
hell yeah !!!! One stressful event will result in an Ick outbreak that will kill the tank.

You don't have to run it 24-7. But when you see that first white spot. Turn on the nuke !!!!
I see your point. But my tank is only 25 gallons, I really don't think that's enough room for a tang. But I like the idea of nuking at first site...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have heard both sides and both sides sound good. The main reason I don't run one (and yes I have Tangs) is it will kill everything in the water which means even the good stuff.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
One Ick outbreak will do the same thing. No need to run all the time. But when you do get Ick. Uv will help

I have heard both sides and both sides sound good. The main reason I don't run one (and yes I have Tangs) is it will kill everything in the water which means even the good stuff.
That's what I heard as well. But some believe that it won't kill every and if not left on constantly the good bacteria will regenerate. So I asked won the bad regenerate as well?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Like most topics this one is just so flip/flop. Take a look at certain people's tank, some run one and some don't. People with amazing SPS and LPS health run UV and others don't. For a 25Gallon not sure I would do it but I think once a tank is cycled it is a worth while investment.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I think this is one of those topics where I don't think you can really go wrong either way. You need to do the research and do what you believe is best for your tank

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk