• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

UV sterilizer

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
regarding UV sterilizers, is it better or safer to get something rated for more than what your tank size is?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
From what I understand the more contact time the water has with the uv the Better.
I don’t have a UV in my reef tank but I have used them in fresh water and a koi pond with great success.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
481EBD67-177C-4792-9A5F-ADD7B06678FB.jpeg
Yes it is. This is 160w. If I turn this full blast (all four bulbs). My temp jumps up 5 degrees. Way over size. But it work

I have a pentair 80W on my 260g. I run it on the protoza flow rate and my temp would climb from 78 to 83 degrees if I let it. So I had to get a chiller to counteract it.

eholceker

NJRC Member
I have a pentair 80W on my 260g. I run it on the protoza flow rate and my temp would climb from 78 to 83 degrees if I let it. So I had to get a chiller to counteract it.

Interesting. I have a 120 watt on my reefer 750 which probablly has about 160 gallons flowing through it. Does nothing to the water temp at 600 gph which is the flow rate for protozoa.