• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Venting over Ink Cartridges

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a Canon inkjet printer......a PIXMA MG2520. I need to purchase new ink cartridges. I can get the black and color cartridge for $34. That's thirtyfour dollars.

Now the other option is that I can throw this printer away and buy a whole new printer (that comes with the ink cartridges) for $27.99.

What am I missing here????

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just went on Costco's website and don't see my cartridges.....black and color are Canon PG-245 and CL-246, respectively.

However, I also went on eBay and just purchased a refill kit for $13.49. I understand I can get away with refilling 4 or 5 times before the cartridges craps out. Then I'll throw out this printer and buy a new one......just stupid.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ink are the most costly part of printers. Becareful of refill kits cause they don't work most of the time.

Best would be look into a laser printer. Up front the cost is higher plus toner is more than ink but they last much much much longer. Depending how much you print you can go a year+ on one toner

Paul B

NJRC Member
For about six bucks in Staples I bought a box of 4 ink refills. It comes with a hypodermic needle and instructions on how to fill your cartridges. I really now only refill the black as I found the other colors were not exactly what they are supposed to look like but great for normal color stuff like if you want to highlight something in red on your resume like "Extremely Good Looking"
I think printer companies give you the printer for free so they can charge you a ridiculous price for a teaspoon of ink.
Last year I was in Home Depot to buy a Milwaukee battery drill. The drill was $120.00. As I was waiting on line I saw a box with that same drill "and" a battery powered circular saw, (which I also wanted) That sold together for only $100.00. Does that make any sense? I mean, I could have bought the two of them (which I did) for $20.00 less than one of them, and I could have thrown one of them away and still be ahead . Also, that Milwaukee drill battery sells for the same price as the drill which comes the battery. Like Duh. I don't understand marketing.
I recently was in a hobby shop because I needed one of those tiny bottles of paint that you can use on models. (not Supermodels) When I was a kid they sold for ten cents. Now they are two fifty. I mentioned to the guy that they are a little expensive for a tablespoon of paint. He told me "it is very good paint". I said it must be because if I wanted a gallon of it, it would be like two thousand bucks. And besides that, how good does paint have to be to paint a model of a boat. The paint I use on my "real" boat doesn't cost that much.

C

charterreefer

If you find that most of the printing you do is with black mostly and really don't need color all that much a laser jet is the way to go. You won't even think of ink as a big expense anymore. One laser jet cartridge prints for an extremely long time as compared to the (expensive) ink jet cartridges. I go one step further and buy the generic laser jet cartridges for greater savings.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have a Cannon MX490 and the ink cartridge is about $19 for black and $25 for color. The printer truly sucks. It never prints straight lines and sometimes words are blurry and other times not. Very frustrating.

I bought the generic ones on ebay as well for a Canon PIXMA MG3620. I think it was like $10 for two full refills (color and black), it's worth a try. I'm on refill # 3 and the printer is still going.