• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Vibrant/ bubble algae

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I noticed some bubble algae on frags the rock in my 13g. I plan to take the rock out, scrape it and treat with peroxide- wondering if i should treat with Vibrant or just keep an eye on the tank- some of the rock/frags came from my 40b- now I'm wondering if it's in there too, but just not visible yet- It's always something

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I noticed some bubble algae on frags the rock in my 13g. I plan to take the rock out, scrape it and treat with peroxide- wondering if i should treat with Vibrant or just keep an eye on the tank- some of the rock/frags came from my 40b- now I'm wondering if it's in there too, but just not visible yet- It's always something
Mixed opinions on R2R.
Vibrant and Bubble Algae

Make sure you order the correct vibrant as well. There's a saltwater one and there's a reef one. If you have corals make sure you ordered the reef one. Using it to battle some turf algae at the moment.20211214_180208.jpg

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Make sure you order the correct vibrant as well. There's a saltwater one and there's a reef one. If you have corals make sure you ordered the reef one. Using it to battle some turf algae at the moment.View attachment 40982
Thing is, the 'marine' version is supposedly safe for corals/ inverts- and much harder to find in a 16oz bottle

Thing is, the 'marine' version is supposedly safe for corals/ inverts- and much harder to find in a 16oz bottle
I've read mixed reviews on whether the marine one is safe for reef tanks or not. Most suggestions I had read were to go with the reef one for a reef tank and marine for fowlr tanks but with how much every tank differs I'm sure it doesn't make much of a difference with which one you go with. I myself decided to use the product the company made for reef tanks in my reef tank it just seemed safer to me because if there's no difference there likely wouldn't be 2 separate products from the manufacturer. Then again many people also say vibrant nuked their tank and in my experience that's never been the case so I guess at the end of the day there's only one way to find out. I'd like to follow along with how it works for you against the bubble algae, so far it appears to be working on the turf algae for me but very slowly.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I've read mixed reviews on whether the marine one is safe for reef tanks or not. Most suggestions I had read were to go with the reef one for a reef tank and marine for fowlr tanks but with how much every tank differs I'm sure it doesn't make much of a difference with which one you go with. I myself decided to use the product the company made for reef tanks in my reef tank it just seemed safer to me because if there's no difference there likely wouldn't be 2 separate products from the manufacturer. Then again many people also say vibrant nuked their tank and in my experience that's never been the case so I guess at the end of the day there's only one way to find out. I'd like to follow along with how it works for you against the bubble algae, so far it appears to be working on the turf algae for me but very slowly.
Right now all I see are maybe a dozen scattered around the 13g- I'm going to start out with removal of the rocks/ scrape and treat with peroxide to start- if it shows up in the 40, I may have to treat- hopefully I won't have to treat the 13 at all- and yeah, I got the marine one- says it's safe for corals- maybe the reef one is safer for sps?

Right now all I see are maybe a dozen scattered around the 13g- I'm going to start out with removal of the rocks/ scrape and treat with peroxide to start- if it shows up in the 40, I may have to treat- hopefully I won't have to treat the 13 at all- and yeah, I got the marine one- says it's safe for corals- maybe the reef one is safer for sps?
If its only a few then that's definitely a good plan to knock it out. And I'm sure your right about the reef one being for sps that actually makes alot of sense. Hopefully it works for me against the turf algae. I'm on my 5th week of dosing. I'm going to see where the algae is at by my 9th week as recommended and decide to continue dosing or not.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
You can also try emerald crabs for bubble algae. They can sometimes nip at corals though, so just watch out for bad behavior.
I've read that they are fine once you have it under control, but not for outbreaks. Don't think an emerald would work in my 13 lol

ctg0209

NJRC Member
You could try razor from brightwell aquatics. Ive used it with no noticeable effects to fish/coral/inverts and my bubble infestation was gone maybe 3 weeks after the last dose. The only thing after I noticed was a cyano outbreak nothing crazy though a couple water changes and good to go

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
In a tank that small I would try to use emerald crabs.
Fox face and some tangs will eat bubble algae.

john90009

NJRC Member
When I had a mix of algea life starting to grow I introduced a cleanup crew. My tank is around ten years old and had only built a cleanup crew once in the beginning. Over the years they dwindled. And then as I went through a crash there wasn’t enough critters picking at the rocks. I got a 3 urchins, 3 emeralds, plenty of hermits and snails. Any algea in the tank now is only in spots where they can’t get.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Pulled all the rock out of the 13g today, scraped and treated with peroxide- more bubble algae than I thought- not sure if I got it all- reset all the zoas- will most likely rescaping for a couple of days. I have a feeling that I didn't get all the algae and will eventually have to treat with Vibrant- does vibrant also kill coralline algae

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I bit the bullet today and started treating the 29g cube- the algae was just out of control- the 13 is the only tank with bubble algae that I can see- watched brs video on Vibrant- not a chemical solution, but an organic one-took a pic- we'll see

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Bah. Go natural.
Pull the rocks out and suck the bubble algae off them, then spit them into a nearby spitoon like a man.
When I'm not doing that, I'm using 1 or 2 emerald crabs.
Then get some pods in there and a decent small sized cuc to maintain.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Bah. Go natural.
Pull the rocks out and suck the bubble algae off them, then spit them into a nearby spitoon like a man.
When I'm not doing that, I'm using 1 or 2 emerald crabs.
Then get some pods in there and a decent small sized cuc to maintain.
Adding an emerald crab ( or 2) to a 13 gal, would look like adding Godzilla- and would it would probably start eating my zoas after a day or 2- pods, I got plenty of amphipods along with hermits and snails- will wait and see