• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Vodka Dosing education needed

We have been dosing for a couple weeks and have seen a big difference in the nitrates our skimmer has been working much better since we started

pnoyreefer said:
vamplillith said:
any updates???
I want to start vodka dosing to bring down my nitrates. I need someone to help me thru the process.

Come tonight Ill be dosing again ;D

Okay on my way over...you better have a big enuff bottle of vodka lol!

What do you guys use to measure the vodka?
How much vodka should I be using for my 72 gallon tank ???...Im sooo not good with understanding the whole article

Jumping on the Vodka dosing as well. I have not measured my trates of phos yet, but did buy the cheapest bottle I could find. I'll be dosing the recommended amounts in about a week once my water changes have been completed since I don't want another Hair algae breakout. I just redid my rocks and am waiting for the water to settle. Will be contributing to this thread- as soon as I get results (actually was thinking of posting a daily vodka dosing blog separately- what do you guys think? with lots and lots of pics)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This is interesting stuff…being a chemist and trying to figure out the chemistry going on here.

However, the one image I can’t seem to get out of my feeble little mind, is how did they stumble upon this idea. Who would ever think about this….”Hey Jim, I think I’ll try putting some vodka in my mutli-thousand dollar tank and see what happens.”

Here’s what I envision. You come home from work after a hard day wondering what you are going to do about the high NO3 and PO4. So the first thing you do is make a martini and start working on the tank. We can all see what’s going to happen…the martini, resting on the light fixture, goes over into the tank. What do you do now? Well, the first thing is to make another martini. And of course, the rest is history.

Serendipity is the mother of invention.

redfishbluefish said:
...So the first thing you do is make a martini and start working on the tank. We can all see what’s going to happen…the martini, resting on the light fixture, goes over into the tank. What do you do now? Well, the first thing is to make another martini. And of course, the rest is history.

I like this theory alot! ;)

Sample pics in my tank ;D

025-1.jpg

004-9.jpg

concept3 said:
Jumping on the Vodka dosing as well. I have not measured my trates of phos yet, but did buy the cheapest bottle I could find. I'll be dosing the recommended amounts in about a week once my water changes have been completed since I don't want another Hair algae breakout. I just redid my rocks and am waiting for the water to settle. Will be contributing to this thread- as soon as I get results (actually was thinking of posting a daily vodka dosing blog separately- what do you guys think? with lots and lots of pics)

Concept3, it would be nice if you started a thread on your progress. I've been wanting to do it for a while now but I don't think my skimmer is good enough.