• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Vodka Plunge

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Well I started dosing Vodka today. I added 0.1ml per 25 gallons for a total of 0.3ml for the entire system. I am keeping a log and will let everyone know how bad or good it goes. Wish me luck.

Mark

john90009

NJRC Member
Very interested in your experiment, do you have cyano in your tank right now, would the vodka make the cyano die or will cyano start to grow, i think i heard cyano coming after dosing vodka.

john90009 said:
Very interested in your experiment, do you have cyano in your tank right now, would the vodka make the cyano die or will cyano start to grow, i think i heard cyano coming after dosing vodka.

negative for mine

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Water Parameters:

Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 35ppm
Ammonia - 0
PH - 8.0
Cal/Alk - 300ppm
Salinity - 1.25
Temp - 79f

john90009 said:

I've always had problem with cyno. I started dosing vodka and it never went away. I've even cut back on feeding, but still there. Now I'm dosing Brightwells product. Been doing this for two months and cyno still there. I'm going to give it one more month than I will start VSV.

ricwilli said:
john90009 said:

I've always had problem with cyno. I started dosing vodka and it never went away. I've even cut back on feeding, but still there. Now I'm dosing Brightwells product. Been doing this for two months and cyno still there. I'm going to give it one more month than I will start VSV.

chemiclean and follow the instructions exactly. find out whats causing the problem too so it doesnt come right back again.

My experience is that the vodka made all th algae disapper, ever bit of it, but that cyano has really increased. I think the "bacteria" in "cyanobacteria" can use the crbon sources directly.

Still worth it, for me.

Make sure you have a large container hooked up to your skimmer, VSV dosing upped my skimmate production 100%, and it's just as nasty.

ricwilli said:

What's that? :-[

Vodka-Sugar-Vinegar, another hybrid version of carbon dosing.

I started a thread in the Advanced forum, will update it tomorrow nite with results/pics

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
After 5 days of dosing here are my water parameters:

Nitrate - 30ppm
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
PH - 7.9
Cal/Alk - 300ppm
Salinity - 1.26
Temp - 77f

Slight drop in nitrates so increased dosage by 1/3. Adding 8 drops which equals 0.4ml per 25 gallons. I will retest in 5 days.

Nice. Do you have any sps in your tank? The reason why I am asking is because of the param that you posted on Cal/Alk.

amen to that last comment... stonies will need more calcium. i am guessing you mean calcium for 300 ppm. i think alkalinity is measured in dkH or mg/L either way. you didn't list alkaninity. that is a parameter you need to measure to be absolutley sure you have good params.

as i know i'm preaching to the choir, you need a balace between calcium and alkalinity. higher the calcium you also need higher alkalinity. it ensures that the calcium becomes usable by the stonies as well as your coraline and also insures that your pH doesn't go out of whack because of the calcium level either high or low. it keeps the pH swings in check. anyway good luck. i have also had good results with vodka.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Calcium and Alk are measuring 300. I use different test kits. I do not have SPS just softies and LPS.

LPS is a stony coral. which means calcium is low imho. you need a method to increase calcium - dosing and also need to raise/match alkalinity so that you are not creating a hazard environment by raising only calcium.

your 300 measurement of calcium does not indicate any alkalinity numbers. not sure what kit you are using but alkalinity number should be

check this out --->

http://ozreef.org/library/tables/alkalinity_conversion.html

for your calcium 300 you need alkalinity of 17 dKH or equivalently 6.03 meg/l.
if you are keeping LPSs as they use up calcium you would raise the calcium to higher than 400 and match the alkalinity.

gluck.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Jay,
I dose Kalk weekly but haven't recently which is why it's low. Normally, it is around 380/400ppm; I need to make more. Unfortunately, I used up the last alk test, which was a dip strip and tossed the box/container. So I am not sure how it was measured. I can't locate my old online records. I plan to get new test kit.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Parameters on 05/16/09:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20ppm
temp - 82
Cal = 375ppm
Alk - unknown, need a new kit, ran out
PH - unknown, need a new kit, ran out
Salinity - 1.025

Will increase dosage by 0.1ml for a total of 0.5ml
The tank water is very clear, the moss algae seems to be subsiding.

NJ_ychung1 said:
amen to that last comment... stonies will need more calcium. i am guessing you mean calcium for 300 ppm. i think alkalinity is measured in dkH or mg/L either way. you didn't list alkaninity. that is a parameter you need to measure to be absolutley sure you have good params.

as i know i'm preaching to the choir, you need a balace between calcium and alkalinity. higher the calcium you also need higher alkalinity. it ensures that the calcium becomes usable by the stonies as well as your coraline and also insures that your pH doesn't go out of whack because of the calcium level either high or low. it keeps the pH swings in check. anyway good luck. i have also had good results with vodka.

Alk can also be measured in ppm. LaMotte kits measure in ppm and 300 ppm is way high. That would be 6 meq or 16.8 dkh.

Alkalinity and calcium are linked and a balance needs to be maintained, but it does not work as suggested above. If you raise alk, calcium goes down and vice versa as a rule. The total of the two can be raised some by raising mg. To understand more start by reading this, Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems by Randy Holmes-Farley. Get new test kits and have someone else test your water.

If those numbers are real, we have to figure out what you are doing to add too much alk.