• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Vortech placement

I'm in the middle of my latest build, a 30x30x24 cube. I was just going to go with 2 Koralia 4's on the back wall angled towards the center of the front glass. Now I'm thinking of Vortechs instead. Mainly to keep the motors out of the water, smaller intrusion, and battery back-up ability. I don't want to mount them on the sides of the tank because it will be 3 viewable sides. If I position them on the back wall, will I still get a nice random flow pattern?

The best placement would be in a box and mailed to my house for my tank. ;D

So - we are moving to vortechs now eh? wait a sec- what happened to the $$$ issue? :) :)

I would think positioned in the back corner aimed towards the front would be fine. Where are the overflows?

i have 1 in a 58 gallon tank it's 36x18x20. One vortech on pulse creates a giant wave and moves the water great.

I have 2 vortechs now in my 120 and I have a really nice wave going on in there as well.

I think if you put one on the back wall facing the front but in the center you should be ok or you can put in on the far back of the wall but on the side. Hard to explain position when you can't see what i'm talking about.

phil519 said:
So - we are moving to vortechs now eh? wait a sec- what happened to the $$$ issue? :) :)

I would think positioned in the back corner aimed towards the front would be fine. Where are the overflows?

Just planning ahead. ;) I'll start the tank off with the Koralias and see how it goes. The over flow will be back center.

i would imagine if they are in the back corners aimed towards the center - it should produce a nice random flow - my only concern was that the overflow would be in the way - but it doesn't sound like it will.

mike you should update your tale of the tank with a video of your vortechs - I'm sure i"m not the only one interested!

phil519 said:
i would imagine if they are in the back corners aimed towards the center - it should produce a nice random flow - my only concern was that the overflow would be in the way - but it doesn't sound like it will.

That's why i asked, you can't aim them towards the center. I'd be a little dissapointed if I spent that much and found that the Koralias provided a more random pattern.