• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

vortech placement

Im thinking about loosing my 4 koralia 4s and going with 2 vortechs. My biggest progblem is that my tank is in wall and I only have 2" of clearnace on each side of the tank. One side is a closet with just 1 peice of sheet rock dividing it so that side is no biggy, the other side is an actual wall but I could cut a whole in it than remove the insulation but having the motor buried in the wall doesnt sit too good with me. So I have seen some people talk about running them on the back wall, anyone do this before and give me some advice?

Why not consider the Tunze Stream pumps? They are in the same price range as the Vortech pumps, and since they don't have anything much on the outside of the tank, they would fit into your wall mount configuration. There is also a Stream II pump that you can preorder. It looks nice, but I'm not sure it since it's a new product.

biggest reason I wanted the vortechs was because I dont want to have a big bulky pump in the tank, but I might have to end up getting the tunze pumps

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wait for the newer ones. They're supposed to be much smaller.

The pump part of the vortech does build up heat , I would not feel safe putting it in a tight space without proper ventilation . I dont think it gets hot enough to start a fire but theres always a chance and I cant see the built up heat being good for the pump itself.

Well there is no super rush, I would like to see what the new tunze look like and have to offer as far as programable settings and what not