• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Want a custom tank. Acrylic or rimless glass. Experts come inside.

I have so many questions on tank building and would like everyones input. I want a tank that is 30 x 15 x 13. Maybe an inch less on the height and/or depth, havent decided yet. Heres my questions.

1. What size glass or acrylic would i have to use?
2. Can an acrylic aquarium be rimless?
3. If glass is only 1/4" thick, is there still a difference with starphire and regular glass? Wondering if starphire is only needed with thicker glass.
4. Is there any shops around here that sells acrylic or glass and will cut it also?
5. Is the intake hole better on the back or bottom of the tank?

Is there anyone around here that would be willing to glue this tank for me? Thats is for now. ;D

1. What size glass or acrylic would i have to use?
1/4" - 1/2"

2. Can an acrylic aquarium be rimless?
If you went with 3/4" or thicker on that size tank then yes.

3. If glass is only 1/4" thick, is there still a difference with starphire and regular glass? Wondering if starphire is only needed with thicker glass.Starphire is low-iron glass ... thickness matters but I'm not sure how much more clear sp is than regular glass at 1/4"

4. Is there any shops around here that sells acrylic or glass and will cut it also?
Where is around here... if you look in a local phone book there are alot of glass/acrylic companies.. and if not hten go online.

5. Is the intake hole better on the back or bottom of the tank?
By intake do you mean the drain or return? I like the drain on the bottom but I also have one in the back on another of my tanks. If I had the choice I would go bottom.

The return doesn't make a difference.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
If you opt for acrylic, make sure its cast. It will finish better and won't craze as easily as extruded. If you choose glass, you can silicone the tank together yourself, its pretty simple, especially for the size you want. I wouldn't recommend 1/4 inch glass though, 3/8 would be better with the bottom either 1/4 inch tempered or 1/2 inch regular. At 3/8 inch thickness you will see a difference in the clarity between Starfire and Float Glass. Try and look up a glass place that will 'water cut' the glass for you. They can bevel all the glass edges while cutting including making the holes for plumbing with water jets and also cut you an external overflow (if you want), giving it a professional finish.

Thanks for the advice. I live in Union, NJ and most places I tried calling some glass places yesterday and most people did not know about starphire glass. I got one person who said it wont be much of a difference since its only a 1/4 inch thats why I asked the question.

I meant the drain hole. How big would the drain hole and returns have to be? I think I would do two returns. What is the smallest size sump I can go with? Would a 5.5 gallon work?

Thanks for the advice Dan. So I can do 3/8 bottom and the rest 1/4 inch? Is an external overflow safe? I was thinking of doing one but no nothing about overflows since i have an AIO. Does an internal overflow have to be the whole height of the tank?

Zeroedge aquariums are awesome just really expensive. I like the rimless look just need to make sure my fish wont jump out.

I had an old 40G breeder I took apart. I then had a glass shop cut and bevel the edges for me. Right now the pieces are 1/4 inch and bottom is 3/8 inches thick. Now I need help determing the size of sump/refuge I need and how I can do a external overflow. I originally wanted to cut the back pane down an inch and have it 15 inches wide but after hearing peoples glass cracking I want to do something different. I also heard of some people cutting tiny holes in the back pane that lead to the external overflow. Is this better? Check out the two pics and I can go from there.

I don't think the small holes would work too well. I would go with the first picture but add teeth to the lower part so that fish don't get into the over flow.

like this:
starti16.jpg

That was my orginal idea but the shop beveled the edges of the back pane and now I dont know if they would even be able to cut that out. Plus I heard some instances of peoples tanks cracking from having that done. I really want to stay away from an internal overflow thats all I know.

I knew what you meant and it seems like teeth would be hard to do with glass. I would probably do teeth on an acrylic piece and glue it there. What im worried is my tank cracking from doing the overflow like that since its rimless and I heard of other peoples cracking as well. Thats why I suggest holes so maybe I would be less prone to it cracking.

I'm not sure. I guess there always has to be a pioneer to get things started. Who knows maybe you'll start a trend. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and make sure you take pictures every step of the way.

I had my tank modified like your second picture with a few small differences. I have three 1 1/2" diameter holes drilled in the back 2" from the top of the tank and with 2" between them. I made a small glass internal overflow box about 4"H x 2"D deep set 1" from the top of the tank to keep the water level hidden behind the trim. My Durso pipes are in the external box. Works great, no more floods from a lost siphon and is dead silent.

Constantine,
I can definately help you out. Do you want help putting this tank together or are you looking to design it? I can have my tank builders put a tank this size together in no time at all depending on your spec's. I personally do not recomend acrylic tanks. I honestly am very put off with the ease at which they scratch...everybody makes mistakes(I don't like constant reminders of my mistakes however). As mentioned before they do have the potential to craze. Most commonly it happens with the lack of support on the top of the tank or if something compromises the bracing...ie. heat from a metal hallide. The only major benifit that I can see from having a acrylic tank is weight. When dealing with a tank of the dimensions your talking about I would definately go glass.

Jcurry, your design seems similar to a calfo overflow someone has on reefcentral. Its a thought though im still trying to get it all external. If I cant your idea is the next one to do.

Seany, I actually have the glass cut to the dimensions. I just need to figure out an overflow design and having the back pane cut out before i put the tank together. The thing is I dont know much about sumps and plumbing since im going from an AIO aquapod.

I like the notch cut out best but worry about the glass cracking. Even having elongated circles (teeth) or regular small circles cut out the back pane looks nice too I just dont have the skill or tools to do that.

I was woried about the notched design as well that's why I opted for MY design (who's Calfo anyway?). But I know a few club members with notched tanks some have had problems, others have not.

Calfo is the guy who thought of that design (i think). I just came across an overflow made from pvc with a portion cut from the top. Sort of a coast to coast overflow. Whats your opinions on it? Heres a picture for reference although i would make it a bit longer.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I think you'd benefit more from a coast to coast internal overflow that is about 4 inches or so tall and deep. This way you don't lose valuable real estate in the tank. The pipe idea will also work, it just won't look as clean and will occupy the same amount of real estate as the coast to coast internal overflow..

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Make sure you deal with air lock and gurgling issues with the slotted pipe.. You'll need some kind of way to allow air to be drawn in besides into the slot. Maybe a T outside at each end with a cap and a JG fitting on top.

Yea thats what the guy had. A T outside with an airhole i think. How can I determine what flow this can handle? I would use two 1" holes for that pvc overflow.