• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Want to say Hello to the club

hello everyone.
I have been off the club since Sandy knock out punched me.
so my kids have been "lured" me in to the saltwater fish tank with "We will do the cleaning for you" WHILE MY DRAGON LADY looks all angry across the counter with the fired eyes like Hawaiian Flame Wrass "I triple dog dare you to say YES to the kids".
WHAT SHOULD I Do? sleep in the drive way with 3 seasoned sleep bag and setup the tank or go on with life and submitted to her DRAGONESS ?
This i what I still got.
LED light
dry rock (a lot of it )
120gallon tank tall with stand. should I hacked this tank and turn it into reef ready?

kids "SHARE" their thought with me about go small with bio cube. I saw a member sale 32 gallon biocube on facebook for $80.

IF I sacrify to setup the tank,
I will go with zoa and soft stuff and fish .. no SPS.
setup the tank with deadrock, deadsand, cycle for 3 months with dead shrimp to start off.
stock with yellow watchman, cleaner shrimp, bubble tip anemnomy, pair of onyx clown or golden nugget clown pairs. and dragonet fish that eat frozen mysis.
What do you think?
equipment: what are the midroad equipment do i need ? I used to have MP10, MP20, MP40 but is there any out there that cheaper alternative and with biocube, i don't think i need that much of flow from MP10. do i need to get the sump or the biocube is good enough with AIO build in? where I can growth bacteria and amphipod ?

I do have a concern about septic and well water with softener. can someone recommend/chime in on this area?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Welcome back. I say go for it. OR, start with a smaller tank- I have a 30L with a cabinet and hood you can have for free- I have it set up as an aio. Anyway you'll have to water test the 120, but in the mean time you could get started with some easy/cheap stuff to keep the kids happy and not upset the wife- you could move the stuff in the smaller tank over or just keep it- move it to the kids room- I started off when I got back in with a 13g aio- now I'm on my 3rd tank- have a 40b too and now a 75g- but still love the 13g- small fish and zoas- right next to my desk- would work on a kitchen counter as well

I have septic and a well too- make my own water- I'm cheap, so I use the waste water for laundry, watering plants etc, and use the water change water on the walks, drive and patio- don't dump it down the drain

Last edited:

DYIguy

NJRC Member
The drain pipe goes into buckets/- plan on moving the whole operation to the laundry room and use a garbage can

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Welcome back Olivier! I have some zoas you can have when you are ready. Start small and go slow. Don't do everything at once. Good luck!

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
hello everyone.
I have been off the club since Sandy knock out punched me.
so my kids have been "lured" me in to the saltwater fish tank with "We will do the cleaning for you" WHILE MY DRAGON LADY looks all angry across the counter with the fired eyes like Hawaiian Flame Wrass "I triple dog dare you to say YES to the kids".
WHAT SHOULD I Do? sleep in the drive way with 3 seasoned sleep bag and setup the tank or go on with life and submitted to her DRAGONESS ?
This i what I still got.
LED light
dry rock (a lot of it )
120gallon tank tall with stand. should I hacked this tank and turn it into reef ready?

kids "SHARE" their thought with me about go small with bio cube. I saw a member sale 32 gallon biocube on facebook for $80.

IF I sacrify to setup the tank,
I will go with zoa and soft stuff and fish .. no SPS.
setup the tank with deadrock, deadsand, cycle for 3 months with dead shrimp to start off.
stock with yellow watchman, cleaner shrimp, bubble tip anemnomy, pair of onyx clown or golden nugget clown pairs. and dragonet fish that eat frozen mysis.
What do you think?
equipment: what are the midroad equipment do i need ? I used to have MP10, MP20, MP40 but is there any out there that cheaper alternative and with biocube, i don't think i need that much of flow from MP10. do i need to get the sump or the biocube is good enough with AIO build in? where I can growth bacteria and amphipod ?

I do have a concern about septic and well water with softener. can someone recommend/chime in on this area?
personally i would go all in one like a biocube or you can always purchase something alittle bigger thats all in one or even turn a 75gallon into a all in one depending how handy you are alot of options out there..
but i always went all in one till i got my 75 gallon and decided to try a sump worst choice in my life... people claim " all this space " to do what? store rock in there? waste imo i have a fully stocked sump and having major issues with my tank now which i never had with all in ones plus all in one is dead quiet and no socks to clean weekly.. thats just my opinion i had alot of success with biocubes and stability without the major cost of crazy equipment.

if i was to redo my 75G i would decent turn it into an all in one with some plexiglass food for thought less work less money less headache imo

DYIguy

NJRC Member
personally i would go all in one like a biocube or you can always purchase something alittle bigger thats all in one or even turn a 75gallon into a all in one depending how handy you are alot of options out there..
but i always went all in one till i got my 75 gallon and decided to try a sump worst choice in my life... people claim " all this space " to do what? store rock in there? waste imo i have a fully stocked sump and having major issues with my tank now which i never had with all in ones plus all in one is dead quiet and no socks to clean weekly.. thats just my opinion i had alot of success with biocubes and stability without the major cost of crazy equipment.

if i was to redo my 75G i would decent turn it into an all in one with some plexiglass food for thought less work less money less headache imo
Just got my 75g AIO up and running- very happy with the way it turned out- but I have a 29cube aio ( pre made )- that I shut down-bad design- I like mine better

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
see my problem is my tank was customized by the previous owner and he basically ruined the tank completely after i filled it with sand water and suck i noticed the issues and cant really fix them now without draining the whole tank drying it and customizing it again...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You know you have to com back. Yes there are smaller and cheaper option than the MP10 out there now. Just start small and go bigger as is tradition.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
8 years ago my 90g had 4 Tunzes at approx $200 each. One day one failed and BRS was out of stock on the controllable Tunze powerhead. Searched Amazon and found Jebao's. I now only buy Jebao's powerheads which are 1/2 the cost. I haven't had one fail me yet. Look at the Jebao MOW models. I have one of the MOW and it is silent.