• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wanted to introduce myself..share pic of my new tank

i have been lurking on the site for a short while and wanted to join in and say hello. I also have a couple of pics of my tank.

I had a nice 29gallon salt tank about 4 years ago that had been running for a few years, but marriage and moving forced me to get rid of the tank. I recently purchased a 14g biocube and i am in process of cycling the tank. My tank has about 18lbs of cured live rock put in a few days ago, now i just play the waiting game before i can add my Occ. Clownfish.

my plans for the tank is to add a single Occ. clown. i really dont think 2 clowns are good in a tank this small, especially since i only had 2 occ. clowns in my 29.

Currently in the tank (all hitchhikers)
1. 2x Emerald Crab, very tiny
2, Very tiny hermet. so small i cant see what colors his legs are to see what kind it is
3. 2x Sand Sifter

anyway, here is a pic of the tank. you may notice the pest anemone in the picture, i have since removed it, and it was the only one in the tank.

IMG_0460.jpg

Cool.

Welcome aboard. May want to keep an eye on those emeralds. I know they were hitch hikers, but that's a lot for a 14g.

thank you. i also moved the thermometer now that i have the temp settled and right.

i am getting anxious for the clownfish, but i know from my past experience that i have to wait.

some of the biocube customizations are
1. removed bio-balls for Stevie-T media rack with filter floss, carbon, and chemi-pure elite
2. removed stock media, removed floor in tray 1 and put heater in there.
3. i have ordered a korilia 1 pump and maxi jet 900 to replace stock pump.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome to the club and good luck with the tank.

I have a pair of black and white clowns in a 12 gallon and they are fine. I don't have any other fish in there, but the clowns are a nice size for that tank.

Welcome back to the fish world!

I had success keeping a false perc with a damsel and a goby in my 10g for several years, if you add the clown last, you should do ok with two fish in that tank. Check out the nano thread to see what your fellow small-tankers are doing.

Nikki

thanks guys. i still havent seen the crabs since i put them in...and i am not positive it is 2 or one that i caught twice when i put the rock in the tank, then the box then the tank again.

i am having trouble discovering when the tank is cycled. i checked it the day after the live rock was put in, and every other day since. i always come up with 0,0,20 for the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.

the rock was fully cured when i put it in, but everything i have read said there will still be a cycle...but i am not seeing it. ??? any ideas?

Whitebird1 said:
Ok, you have a good start up. Is that crushed coral in the in the tank as a sand bed?

it is crushed coral. the LFS (precious pets in ewing) suggested to me on my 29g, and i had a really successful tank, so i decided to use it again. he said it will help keep the PH right.

i have ready from many people that say they dont like it and i should get rid of, but i had good luck last time, so hopefully i will this time too

Welcome home you will be here more than any other site on the web. You are ours now. JK welcome to the club there's a great bunch of people here.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
youpey

Welcome to the club! Hope to see you at a club meeting (open to non members).

Bob

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You might want to look into something like biospira that jump starts a cycle. If you have all cured liverock and have no livestock in there to start the ammonia spike which will seed the bacteria, you might not see the cycle. With something like biospira you are just adding the bacteria. I got a tank starter in my MACNA gift bag if you want it (we have two).

Lord Viper said:
Welcome home you will be here more than any other site on the web. You are ours now. JK welcome to the club there's a great bunch of people here.

this is true, this site has taken over my life ;D

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
evoIX said:
mnat. you try a lot of chemicals. lol use a raw shrimp. cause ammonia spike as well.

I was trying to be politically correct and not recommend tossing in a damsel to cycle the tank. I have not tried the raw shrimp method though I have heard about it so did not want to bring it up. That leaves the biospira method as a recommendation, and also it is a 24 hour cycle for those who want to do it quickly. We used damsels in all of our cycles and then sold/gave them away.

Actually at this point I am reducing the amount of chemicals I add to the tank. Instead of dosing calcium, magnesium, iodine, potassium and buffers I just dose elemental and 8.3 ph. Also, by switching to a better salt it has greatly reduced the amount I need to dose which is nice.

Just wait one day you will be as neurotic as me. ;D

I've always cycled tanks by "feeding" them. Even back to my fresh water days. Slow and steady wins the race. But that's just my humble opinion.

so my tank is cycled and i got my first fish last night.

i got a tiny Occ Clown from OG2 last night. boy is he small. it is exactly what i was looking for.

i have to get food today and OG2 didnt have any frozen food for him so i am going to the LFS tonight

i really love OG2, it is one of the nicest stores i have seen. it was well worth the 1 hour drive

here is a picture of the clown. its the best picture i could get, the battery in my camera died and i cant find the charger :(

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg