• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

wanted to share pictures of my other hobby

Plastic modeling is my longest hobby in my life. i have been doing modeling since i was about 8 years old (32 now). Of course i was terrible when i was young, i wasnt allowed to paint them when i was young because i made a mess of my carpet.

once i turned around 21 or 22 i really got into modeling heavily. I specifically only worked with plastic cars until last year. Last year i got into tank models. i am still terrible at tank modeling compared to some others i see, but i have only finished 4 tank models so far.

anyway here are some of my models ( i will give a brief description of each build). i hope you enjoy the pictures

The first one, a 65 mustang fastback. it is painted in ford springtime yellow. the paint was special ordered, and it the actual paint mix color of the original from 65. I customized this build by putting in interior carpeting, seat belts, and spark plug wiring. Although impossible to tell from the picture, i put air spickets on the rim. This build took around 40 to 50 hours to build
IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

more here
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/youpey/models/Completed_Models/65_mustang_yellow/

the next mustang is a 66 mustang fastback. this one i think isnt quite as good as the springtime yellow, but has all the same customizations, this one took about 40 hours
mustang_side.jpg

mustang_interior.jpg

more here
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/youpey/models/Completed_Models/65_mustang_gold/
1970 boss mustang
not much on this. very basic build.
IMG_0596.jpg

more here
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/youpey/models/WIP_Models/70_boss_mustang/

Now for my favorite model. It is a 2002 Nissan skyline. This was the biggest customization model i have ever done. This model did not come with an engine or an engine compartment. the hood was molded into place. i cut off the hood, and scratch built the entire engine compartment. The engine was taken from a 1992 nissan skyline and modified to match the 2002 engine design.
the bumpers and side skirts are taken from a nissan z-tune skyline. Basically this model has parts from 3 different models with a lot of cutting and shaping. the paint is Nissan's Millenium Jade. Since this car was never sold in america and that paint is a nissan skyline specific paint, i had to custom order the paint from europe. Unfortunately for me, the paint has been since been made available in the US, but at the time it was not. this build took me about 6 months to build, around 2 to 3 hours per day (almost every day). besides the engine and engine compartment customization, i gave it full interior carpeting and seatbelts. The frame has every bolt painted the exact color of the real car whether it be gold or silver. I bought a book on the skyline and it had close up pictures of the frame. although hard to tell, i painted the nismo logo on the intercooler on it
skyline_side.jpg

skyline_rear_side.jpg

skyline_engine.jpg

skyline_front_side.jpg

jade_skyline_under.jpg

more here
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/youpey/models/Completed_Models/Nissan_Skyline_R34_Jade/

that is all for now. if you are interested in seeing some of the other builds, you can go here

Great hobby . I was really into it a few years ago . I competed at a few shows . I did pretty well,winning a few trophy's and getting into a few magazines . I then started to customize Hotwheels(longtime collector) I sent one of my customs to the Hotwheels Nationals in Cali and took 1st place out of about 700 entries . What was cool is the judges are Hotwheel designers . I won a one of a Kind Hotwheels car on a trophy .
I kind of became burnt out after spending about a year on my last 1/24 model . It had just about everything remade by hand out of aluminium,fully wired,plumbed,etc.. I was using PPG paints and auto supplies to do all the customizing. I know I will start up again but just for fun,competing took some/most of the fun out of it .
I now sculpt,and it is kicking my butt. I cant figure it out to my standards . Only thing good with clay sculpting is you can take out your frustration and smash the hell out of it when it does not work .(lol)

Where are the pictures of the tanks? I was big into models as a kid...did a few cars, planes and boats but really loved doing tanks and men. Big fan of Tamiya brand.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow…detail, detail, detail. Very nice!

I too was into model building when I was young...I was into plastic cars and airplanes that were built with balsa wood and covered with special paper and dope. I would show you pictures but my model building phase was shortly followed by a firecracker phase and the models were used as props for the firecrackers. What was left of my models were further consumed by the next childhood phase...The BB gun phase...So no models for me to show.

Again, very nice.

thanks for the nice comments.

i wasnt sure if i can post them because of what they represent

if its ok i will gladly post pics.

here are some of my tank models. mods, if tank models arent allowed, please delete them

as i said, i am not great with tanks yet, i have only finished 4 total

this is a sherman firefly from tasca. tasca is known to be the premier model compant for shermans. i have finished only one tasca and i am halfway through a second one. they take about 80 hours to complete due to the complexity of their models. this is the british firefly version. these were built at the end of the war due to the low power of the regular sherman gun, a larger gun was placed on the tank. i believe it was 88mm. the ground work was done using a grass mat and the dirt area was made using celluclay and dye, and some dirt pigments
IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

the next model is the sherman 105mm. this was my second tank model i built. it is made by tamiya. it is not as high quality as the tasca, but it goes together relatively quickly.
IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

the next model is the tamiya sherman 76mm. this is the last model i built, i finished it yesterday, and actually i did more work to the snow in making it dirty, but i havent taken pictures of that yet. maybe this weekend i will take more pictures.
the snow is made mixing baking soda, white glue, white paint, water and spraying it with hairspray after it dries to keep the color. this was my first attempt at snow.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

here are a couple of soldiers i made. they are 1/35 scale, which is about 2 to 3 inches from head to toe. i have only finished 3 soldiers so far, i am not really into soldiers too much, but i am going to make a dio with them, so i made a couple

us airborne trooper. i made another, but i cant find the pictures of that one, so i only have this one for now.
IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

this is a usmc soldier. i seemed to have lost this one somewhere. i kind of liked the way he looked though
IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

thanks for the nice comments. i will take pictures of the other models i have, mostly ford mustangs, and a gto. since tank models take a really long time to build, typically after i finish one, i take a break for a while, which is why i have only built 4 so far. i hope you like the tanks

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
nice....thanks for sharing.
I especially like the simulated dirt. Nice touch.

Nice work! I was a huge fan of the Tamiya kits in the 70s and 80s, especially the 1:35 military miniatures series. I built a lot of WWII tanks, halftracks and others back then. Plus the excellent soldiers, painting them is an art in itself. I don't know where they all went -- I suspect my brother blew them up with firecrackers after I went to college.
I'm kind of sorry the hobby isn't as popular as it once was, these kids today, with their playingstations and their XYZ boxes...Do you still use model cement to put the kits together? I think I was half dazed by the solvents while I was doing it.
One trick we used to use was this kind of silver wax called Rub 'N' Buff, you could apply it to surfaces and make it look like the paint wore off exposing bare metal.

i dont use model cement anymore. i use what is called CA glue. it is kind of like a super glue, but doesnt leave the glue fog. For the bare metal, i use an HB graphite pensil. that was the best thing i have found to replicate scratched off paint. plus if you make a mistake, you can take it off pretty easily. I am very fond of the tamiya tank kits because of their ease of putting them together. they arent as detailed when it comes to the kits that are created today using computers and cad drawings. Also resin figures are the craze now. they get so much more detail with resin, it is crazy. the only problem, resin figures are really expensive. 1 resin figure can cost 12 dollars, where you can get a plastic figure in a pack of 4 or 6 for the same price as 1 resin. i am currently working on a sherman from the el elamein campaign. that one is cool because it has desert camo on it.

Me too Jim...funny I built almost all German tanks...guess there was a lot more diversity.
I have a few books on tanks, are you anywhere close to central NJ?
I do think I have one or two still. In some box or another, how about model rockets anyone do those too?

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
man this brings back memories!!! Just wait untill you have a kid old enough to sit down with you and build something togehter! Some skillset you have there my friend!

Rod

Wow you must have a ton of patience. Nice job on the tanks very detailed. I like how they're dirty and not all shined up, more realistic I think

Hey Youpey! Nice models man. Not sure if you know this or not but if you are ever in the area of Pine Brook NJ on Rt.46, there is a place called Tech Toys. They have perhaps the best selection of model accesories for the "hard core" modeler. I'm talkin about things like replica distributors, spark plugs, wiring harnesses, belts, hoses, even working suspension parts.

Wow, Im amazed at the patience! I think the snow covered tank looks amazing, awesome idea! I have one question though, is that a chevy air cleaner on the 1st mustang? It kinda looks like the orange 327/300 hp stickers. I dont mean to nitpick, but you spent so much time on them I figured youd want the details to be correct. Correct me if Im wrong anyone.

Audi0s said:
is that a chevy air cleaner on the 1st mustang? It kinda looks like the orange 327/300 hp stickers. I dont mean to nitpick, but you spent so much time on them I figured youd want the details to be correct. Correct me if Im wrong anyone.

its the ford 289 HI PO decal.
http://www.67mustang4sale.com/289_hi_po.jpg

paintman27 said:
Hey Youpey! Nice models man. Not sure if you know this or not but if you are ever in the area of Pine Brook NJ on Rt.46, there is a place called Tech Toys.
i dont think i have been there. i will have to take a look. there is no good hobby stores where i live

thanks to everyone for the nice comments. i messed up the current model i was working on because my airbrush decided to stop working, and it made a mess of the paint job.

i tossed it because i was so frustrated. it is the second one that i messed up because the airbrush took a dump. i am getting a new one because i am sick of ruining a model after spending hours on end on it

i have started another, but i am not going to paint it until i get a new airbrush