• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water bubbles in display tank

My tank has been running for about 2.5 weeks now and it’s pretty much dialed in. The only problem that I’m having: is I do get a small amount of bubbles in my display tank. The bubbles appear to be coming from the siphon hole in my return nozzle. I’ve noticed that when I cover the hole with my finger the bubbles disappear. So hears my question... do I cover the hole somehow? My only concern is when I turn the tank off, will everything go down to my sump and possibly overflow. My tank is 65 gallons with a 29 gallon sump that is usually 70% full.
thanks

My tank has been running for about 2.5 weeks now and it’s pretty much dialed in. The only problem that I’m having: is I do get a small amount of bubbles in my display tank. The bubbles appear to be coming from the siphon hole in my return nozzle. I’ve noticed that when I cover the hole with my finger the bubbles disappear. So hears my question... do I cover the hole somehow? My only concern is when I turn the tank off, will everything go down to my sump and possibly overflow. My tank is 65 gallons with a 29 gallon sump that is usually 70% full.
thanks
Do u have a protein skimmer

thanks
A picture would be helpful. But if I understand what you are saying. The tank will only drain until the siphon breaks. As long as the tip of your return is near the surface. You are fine. And yes the whole is creating a Venturi and it is not needed and adding air.
of course there is a very simple way to test this. And you need to do this test regardless of the air. Cover the hole and turn off your return. And see what happens. It’s way better to test this. Than to wait for it to do it on its own. This way you will know the amount of water your sump can hold in case of a power or equipment failure

U can silicone the hole which has been done many of times or get a new 90 fitting all together which is what I do now and do what the other person said which is put ur returns towards the surface of the water so the siphon will break as soon as air hits them or plumb or cut in a good old check valve will stop ur sump from overflowing

DangerDave

NJRC Member
U can silicone the hole which has been done many of times or get a new 90 fitting all together which is what I do now and do what the other person said which is put ur returns towards the surface of the water so the siphon will break as soon as air hits them or plumb or cut in a good old check valve will stop ur sump from overflowing

Be careful with the Check valves. You can (and should if you do) get very high quality check valves, but they are only as reliable as the maintenance you perform on them.

What is a high quality check valve ? Just wondering ? I have used all kinds and never had to perform maintenance on any of them and I have been running the one I have on my tank now for 9 years and it is as clean as it was the day it went in.. clean saltwater is running thru them not mucky dirt water..

I plugged the siphon hole up today with some silicone glue and it’s working like a charm. The return nozzles are up close to the top of the aquarium and when I shut it off it doesn’t overflow the sump.
thanks everyone