• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water changes

Does anyone use dosing pumps (or any pumps) to do their water changes automatically. Was thinking of getting apex DOS pump to do automated 5-6 gallons a day for water change instead of 40 gallons once a week.

Eventually I would like to do a system like Darren's with natureef or something along those lines.

I would just get the Natureef system if I were you. Its a big investment but if you are going too down the line might as well get it now. I wouldn't waste the money for the Controller / Pumps/ Maintenance if you know your want the Natureef later. Unless you are going to be doing a DIY system then yeah. Go for it!

I'm using a Litermeter system for automatic water changes and love it. I make up 70 gallons of saltwater about every two weeks and let it do its thing.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you get a dual head peristaltic pump, you can remove the old water and replace with new water in one step...and one motor.

7420400.jpg

Mark great read on that link. Chex mix, I already have an apex controller. I was going to use one of their DOS pumps to do the water change. They are about $350 vs around $1000 for the natureef system. Plus if I do eventually go to nature reef I can still use DOS pump for calcium and Alk dosing. Also with the natureef system that I saw at Darren's it looks like I would need another tank of some sort for water exchange. As of now I am a little tight on space but could possibly put one above my refugium if needed.

Thank you everyone for the input, it is always appreciate.