• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WaveMaker made easy...

Second box is in.....in tandem they get about 3/8" wave going.....all my corals are opened up right now so you can see them all waving. When they are set to oppose each other, they counter each other and you get no wave. As you displace one, the other is taking in the displacement. As I figured would happen. SO if you use two, they have to be in tandem, in sync with one another.

I am bummed these k4 12v's dont have enough power. grrrrrrrrr

malulu

NJRC Member
Tom,

- can you help to get the messure the AC-CURRENT which required to drive that pump? my friend need that in order to make the circuit. pls call me if you need more details.
thx

some update on my end: (in short)
- last week i acquired two more used tunze pumps (6100 and 6200)... the 6100 have the same issue with my current 6100 - too weaks??
- after some checking... the 6100 came with a regular 11V transformer, and some have them upgrade to 19V ones (like the one that Renee have). that is why it got more power. (so, my old 6100 was also good! yeah!)

- so, i will be selling the used 6100 that i just acquired - for $200 (same as i paid). order in line would be: Dan, Tom, Olivier, MikeM... (or whom ever after that...)
- Note: for my point of view: this 6100 will be good for 4 foot tank, which can generate about 3/4 inch wave with the wavemaker, for people with the 6 foot tank, it need to upgrade the transformer (1+ inch), otherwise it would only see between 1/4 and 1/2 wave).

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
reneeRN said:
Here is a video of the two inch wave in my 80 gal frag tank in my fish room.

Wow….I’m feeling seasick. :eek:

I like the ruler showing a 2 inch wave….good stuff.

Now, where’s my surfboard!

Did you do the original build or did you include the modifications, that seem to continue to come?

malulu

NJRC Member
Renee,
i think may be you are trying to show off your GREAT MANY corals... not the wavemaker...
;)

amazing 2" wave!! so cool!
;D

redfishbluefish ,
she is using the circuit on this same post, page#1.
:D

With a 2" wave though - is the water going down the overflows properly? I can't tell from the video posted.

I reply to the threat before but somehow thing does not show up so i post it again.

I consult with my guys at work and my father in law. they told me these.

1) 2 wave boxes at each side of the tank without/with synch will not work, wave will bashing each other and cancel out. both box on the same time and off the same time

2) 2 wave boxes at opposite side of the tank with synchronize in wave chaser might work. I.E. left pump turn on then off. wait for wave travel to the right side and start transverse, turn on right pump to push the transverse wave. some wave will add up and some will push more.

3) 2 wave boxes same side next to each other will do the job but efficiency might not be great due to both boxes might not working exactly the same and some waves from each box travel at different speed will cancel each others and some waves will add but not effiction in term of power, effort v.s wave height.

3) Korolia pump with AC control will not work since the pump still pump at max and at min first wave, max, travel back will hit second wave,low, and some what cancel each other. therefore decrease the performance. another thought (my father in law), look at our heart, regardless of pumping fast or slowdown, the blood still flow at even page so the pump ramp up and down without stop will also has the same phenomanent of the heart. therefore water still moving at normal flow instead of wave. the only way to get wave is pump need to shutdown eruptly to create time between wave long enough for the wave travel back.

Question for Malulu (Dave), can you give me the pin out of cerdin 5pins ? which one is plus which one is minus and etc.

thank you very much for offer the Tunze pump. I am broke right now to buy anything above 50 bux. My kid college fund take away 60% of my monthly resource.

malulu

NJRC Member
Olivier,

(1)
both box on the same side, then must be both on, both off at the same time, as long as they are the same circuit timing would be the same, regardless one pump get more power and one get less power, it would work, cause the trick for the wave is to MOVE water out of the box to raise water level higher, then stop the pump to let water back down, to generate the water movement.

(2)
in theory two wave box on each side, A-on, B-off, then A-off, B-on would be the same as we have right now... not sure if it really work.

(3)
however, if two box on each side, A-on, B-on, then A-off, B-off may work, reason being, BOTH pumps pushing water out of the wavebox, forcing the water level to raise high... then BOTH pumps stopped, forcing water to go back down - it may create a different type of wave (or may be tide?)

(4)
A/C pump with slow turn would work (in theory), same idea as above, for example - push 1 unit of water out, let 0.5 unit of water back in, it just create a smaller wave.

[bottom line is]
need to experment to proof of concept...
however, for my case, i don't see the need to use TWO pumps mode to create more powerfull wave.

(5)
you are not that OLD, therefore your kid(s) must be very young... ::)
so you have many more years to make up the invested $ in the reef... ;D

(6)
here is the pin out:
pin #1 ---> output
pin #2 ---> ground
pin #5 ---> V+
din5wavebox.jpg

forgot one last thing...
Tom is now the rightous owner of that 6100 pump.
;)

I modified malulu's schematic removing the feed timer and used components available at a local Radio Shack. I built one, but dont have a tunze to test it. I will bring it to the xmas party.

1505_13_12_08_10_01_14.jpg

Here is the parts list:

D1 1ea. Red or Blue LED 276-307 $1.99 or 276-311 $3.49
SW1 1ea. SPDT Switches 275-612 $2.99
U1 1ea. LM556 Timer IC 14 pin 276-1728 $1.99
R1 1ea. 10k Ohm Resistor 271-006 5pk $0.99
R2 1ea. 1meg Ohm pots 271-211 $2.99
R3 1ea. 47k Ohm Resistor 271-1342 5pk $0.99
R4 1ea. 470 Ohm Resistor 271-009 5pk $0.99
C1 1ea. .01UF 400V 10% Metal Film Capacitor 272-1051 $1.49
C2 1ea. 10 uF 16V Dipped Tantalum Capacitor 272-1436 $1.59
1ea. 14 pin IC socket 276-1999 $1.29
1ea. perf board 276-148 $1.99
1ea. box 270-1802 $2.69
1ea. knobs 274-403 2ea. $1.99
1ea. 5 din midi cable 42-2151 $7.99
Total $33.46

David,

Thanks for the pump. works great. It fit right in the wavebox I made up for the Hydors. With a 2 second pulse, I am getting about a 3/4" wave in my 6 footer. So the circuit I posted above is confirmed to work. Thanks again.

-T

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
SWEEEEEET! After seeing the box Tom designed and the motion in David's tank, I am really looking forward to taking this DIY on. It looks easy enough to do and like it works very well.

Great collabration guys (Olivier, too!).

malulu

NJRC Member
yeah... just hang on a bit more (most likely after the busy holidays)
we will be able to know if the Hydro pump would work or not.

then we will be do a group FYI project in one of the meeting...

I did not realized the simple circuit i post is not so simple for many others...
::)
so we will get Tom's help to get a pre-made circuit board... which all you need is put in the parts, then flip them over, and solder them, that's all!

happy holiday everyone...
the wave will be coming to your tank!
:D

malulu

NJRC Member
Bruce,

6100, 6200 - yes.

6055 - is using difference connection, it would need to change something...

Bruce K said:
This same circuitry will work with the Tunze 6055, 6100, and 6200 pumps correct?

In the never ending quest of perfection, since I threw the above schematic together in a moments notice, I have cleaned up the schematic to make it easier to understand.

1505_14_12_08_10_24_10.jpg

Here is the parts list:

D1 1ea. Red or Blue LED 276-307 $1.99 or 276-311 $3.49
SW1 1ea. SPDT Switches 275-612 $2.99
U1 1ea. LM556 Timer IC 14 pin 276-1728 $1.99
R1 1ea. 10k Ohm Resistor 271-006 5pk $0.99
R2 1ea. 1meg Ohm pots 271-211 $2.99
R3 1ea. 47k Ohm Resistor 271-1342 5pk $0.99
R4 1ea. 470 Ohm Resistor 271-009 5pk $0.99
C1 1ea. .01UF 400V 10% Metal Film Capacitor 272-1051 $1.49
C2 1ea. 10 uF 16V Dipped Tantalum Capacitor 272-1436 $1.59
1ea. 14 pin IC socket 276-1999 $1.29
1ea. perf board 276-148 $1.99
1ea. box 270-1802 $2.69
1ea. knobs 274-403 2ea. $1.99
1ea. 5 din midi cable 42-2151 $7.99
Total $33.46

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Does the pulse mode on the Tunze multi-controller do this same thing? Could I not just add the wave box to my existing setup? I'm just trying to figure out how to use the parts I have already!

And I had to chuckle at you making that diagram "easier to understand"! LOL!

Yeah I figured many would get a laugh from that.

If you can get the Tunze Controller down to 1-2 seconds, it would probably work fine. I never played with one of their controllers, so I don't know how low it can go in timing.