• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ways to minimize noise?

I dont know if it is my the pump or what, but I finally got some stuff in my tank up and running today. I have a mag 7 powering my mr-2 skimmer and a coral-life turbo sea 1700 for my main pump (powers the overflow returns and will power a calc/phos reactor) and let me say holy crap is something in there loud. For my CLS I have a dart pump for 3600 or so gph and it purs. I have my sump sitting on a word floor, I think that might be giving off a lot of vibrations because even with the pump suspended in the air i hear a lot of noise. I know most people are going to say use flex pvc instead of rigid, but the tank is plumbed and no pipe is hitting wood. Should I put a rubber matt on the floor? If so where could I get one? I think Im going to ditch the coral life pump and either go with insump mag drive or I a dart or some other pump. Any advice?

PrettyBoy said:
I have a mag 7 powering my mr-2 skimmer

i am not sure about your noise problem, but i would suggest a more powerful pump for this skimmer. i have the same skimmer and i am using a mag-18.

I know, I told my LFS that it required a bigger skimmer, but he said try this one and see what happens. Im going to bring that mag pump back and either going to put some matting underneath the sump and see if that helps with the pump or just get a bigger pump. Even running the pumps seperately without water suspending it in the air with no piping the dart pump barely whispers where as the coral life pump the fan itself even hums loud

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
PrettyBoy said:
like the styrofoam insulation?
Yes the pink sheets,and if you have enought left over you could glue or tape a 3 sided box to put over the noisy pump without blocking air flow on the ends to reduce the pump noise.

Even the Mag-18 is insufficient for the MR-2 skimmer. If you read their website you will see that the recommended pumps are ALL pressure rated pumps. I ran a Mag-18 for about a year and never got decent production. I purchased a Panworld PW55 but had a BIG noise problem. I've since made a mod to use the Mag-18 as a recirc and am now working out the same noise problem. If I get the kinks worked out I'll let you know how I did it otherwise don't waste money on the Mag-18....yet.

Demo said:
Even the Mag-18 is insufficient for the MR-2 skimmer. If you read their website you will see that the recommended pumps are ALL pressure rated pumps. I ran a Mag-18 for about a year and never got decent production. I purchased a Panworld PW55 but had a BIG noise problem. I've since made a mod to use the Mag-18 as a recirc and am now working out the same noise problem. If I get the kinks worked out I'll let you know how I did it otherwise don't waste money on the Mag-18....yet.
what would you say to do for the time being then? Im assuming having high flow makes the venturi create bubbles right? because Im barely getting any bubbles inside the chamer with the mag 7

Ok, this thing is rockin now. For the first year i only got a watery light green skimmate, now I can adjust to get any kind, watery or dark and dry. Pretty easy mod. PM me if you want details.

does direct drive or magnetic have any affect on noise? I got a reeflo snapper and the pump itself is quiet but it still seems noisey when hooked up to all the plumbing. Im going to switch out all of my plumbing to pretty much all flex pipe and see if that helps. I just want something quiet like my mag 18, that thing is super quiet, im really hoping it is the plumbing becausae like i said the snapper itself is quiet, but when its all hooked up, i get a humming sound and its deffinately going to annoy me when sleep time comes... i guess having a 180 in a bedroom probably is the best of ideas either ;D

malulu

NJRC Member
Demo,
am interested to the mod. can you post it here, or PM to me... or probably start a new thread for it...?
thx

Demo said:
Ok, this thing is rockin now. For the first year i only got a watery light green skimmate, now I can adjust to get any kind, watery or dark and dry. Pretty easy mod. PM me if you want details.

PrettyBoy said:
does direct drive or magnetic have any affect on noise? I got a reeflo snapper and the pump itself is quiet but it still seems noisey when hooked up to all the plumbing. Im going to switch out all of my plumbing to pretty much all flex pipe and see if that helps. I just want something quiet like my mag 18, that thing is super quiet, im really hoping it is the plumbing becausae like i said the snapper itself is quiet, but when its all hooked up, i get a humming sound and its deffinately going to annoy me when sleep time comes... i guess having a 180 in a bedroom probably is the best of ideas either ;D
bump

Sorry this took so long... Came down with a terrible cold that I couldn't kick, then went to Vegas for a bit, then couldn't find my USB cable, finally couldn't remember which thread it was. Anyhow, let me see if I can explain this well enough.

I've plumbed the overflow from the tank directly into the injector port of the skimmer box. I off-set the drain line so the water does not flow directly to minimize noise. There is also a valve installed to control the flow from the tank to the skimmer so surges do not overflow the skimmer. Just prior to the valve is a tee to accept the excess surge water and direct it to the sump directly.

I drilled another bulkhead in the side of the skimmer box, not far from the exit bulkhead. The pump, a Mag-18, draws water from this new bulkhead and into the previously unused injector port(see photos).

Look at the following photos to get a better understanding. The difference in production is remarkable.

It turns out, the unbearable, jet-like noise I was hearing was due to the injector sucking air through the removeable top. The uppermost black flange that has 3 keyholes for the screw heads to tighten has no gasket(reason unknown). I was able to use the gasket from a 1 1/2" pvc union to fix the problem. Funny, all this work just for a missing gasket. It was worth it regardless, production is much better.

Good luck.

027-1.jpg

029-1.jpg