• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WC Free Filter?

OK. I've thrown the breadcrumb out in another post and never even got so much as a single nibble. So I am putting it out here.
Apparently, a few years back I heard of a fish store in Tom's River NJ whose owner has invented / discovered a saltwater filter system that was supposed to be completely Water Change Free. If I remember correctly, it was a closed / sealed filter system that never needed to have th media changed in it. It was supposed to create such a perfect balance of biological matter that it was perfect for ALL the bio filtering for your tank. If you had one of these filters, then you were almost "water change free".

Does anybody here know what I am talking about? Has anybody ever heard of anything like this? I know I have probably had some wild dreams from time to time that seemed very real. But, this was certainly no dream. I even went as far as to call this guy and talk to him for a few min. until he could no longer talk because he was busy.

I sure do hope somebody has some 'possitive" input for me here.

Thanks
~Jim

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You're talking about the systems that they used to run at AquaOceans, if I'm not mistaken. John can remember the name the filter went by, but I can't off the top of my head.

Unfortunately I haven't seen hide nor hair of said filter since we joined the hobby 3 years ago. Not even running in that store anymore. It was awe inspiring to see, wasn't it? Their tanks immaculate, water pristine. All gone.

As for "water change free" system... I guess that depends on why you're doing WC to begin with. One reason is to replace that which is taken from the aquarium through absorption. The other to reduce pollution. There are several things you can do to reduce your nitrate/phospate/etc and get you to a point where WC aren't NECESSARY from a "dillution of pollution" aspect, but then you'd have to be dosing trace in order to keep that aspect in line. Seems like darned if you do, darned if you don't.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I think you maybe talking about a pressurized wet/dry with denitrator and o2 towers built in.
This was also something Albert Theil promoted on tv many many years ago (20 years I believe) on a nature program where his reef system was the hightlight of the show.