• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Website ideas?

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Hi - Any IT peeps here? I’m looking for some advice on ways to go about rebuilding my website. Something more intricate / maybe even interactive.

I’m not talking about the forum, but the website itself where I’m just using WordPress: Marine Fish Diseases and Treatment

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would say that the website idea is dated.
Most people looking for information or a How to qt fish would look at YouTube.
I would focus my attention and $$$ on creating youtube videos.

setting up a you tube channel with your best practice
Would be great and also generate money for you.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I would say that the website idea is dated.
Most people looking for information or a How to qt fish would look at YouTube.
I would focus my attention and $$$ on creating youtube videos.

setting up a you tube channel with your best practice
Would be great and also generate money for you.
I’ve started a YT channel:
I’m considering trying a weekly Q&A session using either Youtube or Zoom. Just kicking around ideas, wanting to do something different.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I’ve started a YT channel:
I’m considering trying a weekly Q&A session using either Youtube or Zoom. Just kicking around ideas, wanting to do something different.
all i know is i ONLY follow info from your content every time ive done so ive literally fixed my tank might have to hire you on some zoom calls to make my tank work properly

You have a very respected name in the hobby and I would think that any medium you choose would be met with success. YouTube has the advantage of getting you income while zoom has e advantage of making you much more accessible to the masses. Maybe a little of both?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
You have a very respected name in the hobby and I would think that any medium you choose would be met with success. YouTube has the advantage of getting you income while zoom has e advantage of making you much more accessible to the masses. Maybe a little of both?
yah i agree youtube for general informational projects so to say so lets says how to control nitrate levels and such so graphs and things
zoom meetings for open conversations picking peoples brains community tank care so to say would work nicely imo

Videos where you identify x parasite/disease on a fish (feel this is important as to make sure it's the better diagnoses than them guessing) and doing a progression video with an explanation on what your doing and different treatment options will probably get alot of attraction. Especially with the more common fish. First thing people are gonna type in YouTube is "how to treat my tang for ich" along those lines and will probably flip through dif videos until they see it being done in front of them. And then you can talk about doing a general qt process somewhere in the vid for people who are interested.

Videos are great and I always play something reefing related on my longer drives, but sometimes I just want to find a quick answer to something. Like last night I just wanted to see when and how often to dose general cure. I don't want to watch a 15 min video just to find the answer when I can Google it and get the answer in two minutes.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Videos are great and I always play something reefing related on my longer drives, but sometimes I just want to find a quick answer to something. Like last night I just wanted to see when and how often to dose general cure. I don't want to watch a 15 min video just to find the answer when I can Google it and get the answer in two minutes.
The funny thing is the dosing instructions for General Cure are wrong. You don't redose it after 48 hours. You wait 5-7 days to allow time for any eggs to hatch, or better yet use this treatment calendar to determine when is the best time to add the second dose: Marine Parasites