• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Weird Benifts of a reef tank

So, I got into poison ivy AGAIN! (I think someone is doing this on purpose!) I have recently found out that salt water is great for poison ivy so guess what I am doing all day today?!?!?! WORKING IN THE TANK!

ReefDrumz said:
aren't you worried that your fish will get poison ivy too? :eek: :p

I have to admit............ I would be very curious to see that happen! Maybe I could make some money from it?

God!! You just brought back a memory. When I was a kid living in Queens, we used to go to Jones beach almost every weekend.. I used to get poison ivy alot! By the end of the weekend at the beach it was always almost gone!!

When I was a kid, we would wash any kind of cuts and scraps in the sea (you just went for a long swim) and the accelerated healing was considered to be caused by the iodine in the sea water.

I guess my parents were crazy we used bleach (Might as weel have been hydrochloric acid) to get rid of poison ivy. Once the foaming and the pain went away everything was good. Even though my therapist still asks for me to vist 4 days week to discuss the situation.

mladencovic said:
When I was a kid, we would wash any kind of cuts and scraps in the sea (you just went for a long swim) and the accelerated healing was considered to be caused by the iodine in the sea water.

I used to do the same. It was the bleach/dr. alternative.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Satan's Milkman said:
Once the foaming and the pain went away everything was good. Even though my therapist still asks for me to vist 4 days week to discuss the situation.
LOL!

The sea water thing makes sense to me. My old Italian grandfather's remedy was to mix salt and vinegar together and then blot it on. It worked like a charm. I think he'd then dip celery sticks in the concoction, if I'm not mistaken!