• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

weird things after water change

ryanpal

NJRC Member
i just did my weekly water change last night. today some weird things are happening. my rbta decided to start moving and i also noticed my galaxis is eroding away. i'd say at a decent rate. other corals show no signs of distress.

any ideas? i'll check my water parameters, but does this seem to match any particular problem?

ryanpal

NJRC Member
any takers? looks like this coral is still eroding away. no signs of distress on other corals.

You have to post your water parameters first before anyone can help. What type of salt are you using? Did you let it mix for at least 24 hours before you used it?

I'm still learning.. so I may be way off, but what is your calc and mag levels at? I noticed that during my last water change (~50%) a large portion of my coraline turned white. My calc and mag levels were extremely high and now they are pretty low. So, I am guessing that's the reason why they are dying or changing color. I'm getting ready for another 50% water change tomorrow so I haven't compensated, but maybe that coral is really sensative (?).

also, you have to make sure the temp of the water matches the tank water. a sudden change in temp is not something these animals are accustomed to

Ryan,

Can you explain/describe the eroding? Is there any sign of brown jelly on the coral? Are polyps being ejected? Because all your other coral is fine, I am thinking there is some type of disease. Perhaps the RBTA stung the Galaxy during it's move?

ryanpal

NJRC Member
hi guys. thanks for the replies. sorry for the delayed response, holidays can be quite time consuming.

here are the following water paramters:
dkh: 8
ca: 380
phosphate: shows yellow, lowest on kit is light green (maybe the kit is too old?)
nitrate: 5
..i don't have an mg tester.

there is some cyano and a little bit of green algae, so i imagine the

--
as far as the rbta stinging the coral, i wish this were the case, but the rtba didn't come in contact with the coral. the signs of erodding were similar to my goniopora back in the day. the coral bleaches and withers away. a light brown to clear color and then just a skeleton. i was dosing with kalk for a bit to raise the ca, but not for 2 weeks or so...this occurred after, i'm pretty sure.

ryan

ryanpal

NJRC Member
...forgot to mention the salinity is 1.025

the galaxia coral is completely gone unfortunatley. i'm still curious why this happened. ;/

Hey Ryan - Sorry to hear about the galaxia dying. I have a liking for those as well, although I don't have one at the moment. They are usually very hardy, so it is perplexing. I am curious what salt you use and if you are using RO/DI as well. Do you monitor pH?

ryanpal

NJRC Member
hi there.

i haven't monitored my ph in a while. the salt i'm using is reef crystals...have been for almost a year and no problems. yes i do use ro/di

ryan

I seriously don't think it was a water issue. The speed at which this colony died really smacks of brown jelly disease. Are you sure there was no necrosis occurring?

ryanpal

NJRC Member
i'm not sure if necrosis as occurring. i never came across that term in the reef field yet...what would it look like?

as far as brown jelly disease, it definitely seems similar to when the goniopora died...i may have to agree with you here ;]

Necrosis: The death of living cells or tissues.

RTN (Rapid Tissue Necrosis), disease affecting SPS.

I guess it's going to be hard to figure what was the problem but I'm pretty sure it wasn't any type of water chemistry issue. It just doesn't sound right based on the facts you've given.

How are you measuring salinity?

Could just be unrelated events. If you bumped a power head or changed the water flow in anyway, your RBTA will likely move.