• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What are safe 55 gal barrels?

I have access to 55 gal drums which have had pink antifreeze in them used to winterize boats. If I wash it out would it be ok to use?

I wouldn't risk it. Who knows what kind of chemicals can leech back into the water being held in the barrel after you wash it.

I think if you washed it out and let water sit in it for a week and then test the water you'll be closer to an answer.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What type are the ones you have access to? Do they have a completely open top with a snap down lid or a sealed lid with two smaller ports? One of our members, Raskilnakov, occassionally sells the open top type. It'***** or miss and you have to be ready to pounce on them when he lists them because they go fast. There's another member, Embowe, who used to have access to the sealed top type (he hasn't listed them lately so I'm not sure if they're still available). You may try PM'ing either of them to see if they have any.

HTH.

The ones I can get have the 2 small holes. If you go to any marina they are more than happy to give them to you.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul

The barrels you have where filled with a non toxic (to humans and pets) antifreeze that's used to winterize the freshwater (drinking) systems on boats. I use it in my pool plumbing. It safe to pump it into the pool when it opened. Don't know if that helps or not.

Bob

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't chance using drums that had anything in them besides Food Grade materials.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My concern would be absorption of PO4 or metals which would largely negate the use of an RO/DI to begin with. If you could put water in one and let it sit for say a month (stirring ocassionally) and then send it out to a water testing facility to see what's in it as compared to what is in your water from your RO/DI. If it comes up clean I'd be SLIGHTLY more comfortable. I think I'd feel better if there was a food substance in it instead.

Not to hijack the thread...but I still have access to all the 55,30 and 15 gallon drums anyone woud need....pm me if ya need some prices...local pickup in Gloucester City only