• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what are these growing under frogspawn

what are the white things growing under the frogspawn they had slime on them like they are getting killed by it please help (should I cut them off and move them) thanks John

john90009

NJRC Member
are you referring to the tinny white circular spots about smaller than the size of a nail head? i think you are referring to the corals skeleton- if you look through the frogspawn tissue in the center you will see the white skeleton- now in your case the tissue was receding into the mouth of the coral- either a fish was biting it or something was picking on it or pissed off the coral- or there is something called brown jelly disease but that doesn't seem to be your problem. Check your parameters and watch the coral and make sure nothing is biting it stinking it and also its not getting battered by flow.

What kind of coral skelton is that ? because they were not there the other day and it looks like there are more growing.
Also it looks like they are getting stung by the frog spawn. there is no way that is a live coral. I dont understand why these showed up all of a sudden

john90009

NJRC Member
that is the frogspawn calcium skeleton. they were there a few days ago but the frogspawn tissue and tentacles were covering so you didn't see them- watch the last head of your frogspawn that is still alive make sure nothings hurting it.

there was only the one head of the frogspawn that is visible now in pic. could that be new frogspawn growing or is it dead? there are new little around on the same piece will the big frogspawn kill others growing on the piece or are they like a colony? thanks John

john90009

NJRC Member
hmm i guess it could have grown them but that much growth wouldn't have taken place in days it would have taken months and usually when the new frogspawn grows the white is covered in the jelly like tissue- if its frogspawn then yours wont hurt it-sorry to be not that much of help maybe someone else can chime in- can i get a full tank picture by any chance?

john90009

NJRC Member
maybey- maybe not- on the ones that are all white with stuff on the inside dont blow that with a turkey baster- and dont let the healthy one get hit with to much flow- just let the tentacles gently sway. Only thing you can do now is make sure you keep that healthy one alive- watch after it and watch that the tissue from the base isnt receding up.