• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What are these?

I have these small puffy looking things, they were in my nano also but I see more of them in the 90. Just curious if it's something I shouyld be worried about.

Stage4044.jpg

Stage4043.jpg

The one by the ric's always is in the same spot, I knocked it off a few times in my other tank and it grew back in the same spot

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pineapple sponges. Usually a sign of excess nutrients in the tank. As they use up the nutrients they will disappear. Harmless life forms.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The stuff on the overflow resembles green star polyp (without its polyps). Is it a purple mat?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
The stuff on the overflow resembles green star polyp (without its polyps). Is it a purple mat?

They looked like GSP to me too. I thought he was referring to the white things mixed in with the polyps.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As a newbie, I had no idea what I was looking at in the pictures above…I saw a ric in pic 1 and a powerhead, star polyp and coraline in pic 2. Simply put, I was confused…not very difficult to do.

Searching the net I found a pic of pineapple sponge and now everything is crystal clear. Now I see what Panman is talking about. Here’s a pic of pineapple sponge (size of a grain of rice or slightly larger):

PineappleSponge.jpg

Hope this helps others who are in the same boat I’m in...mentally sinking ;D!

At first, I thought Joe was refering to the ric (guess asking for clarification whether it was a ric or yuma).

I never knew they were called pineapple sponges. I used to have tons of them when tank was new and one day, all gone.